How to configure the R7000 with a static IP block from timewarner (any provider !!).

nlazouzi
Aspirant

How to configure the R7000 with a static IP block from timewarner (any provider !!).

Hello everyone,

I have 3 webcams for which i'd like to use static IPs.
Just for the record, i am aware that i can use dynamic IP and port forwarding to be able to reach the webcams on the outside. That's not what im trying to accomplish

The router is connected to a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem. This has been configured by TW to allow the static IPs. I am able to ping the gateway.

I'm trying to figure out how the static IP thing works.
Anyhow, Time Warner has made available 5 IPs.
Network ip = 24.xx.yy.10 just an example
sub mask = 255.255.255.248
gateway = 24.xx.yy.11
dns servers 24....
The webcams are expected to work on 12, 13 and 14
I configured the webcams to connect wirelessly to the router but set their IPs to the static ones TW provided(+ sub mask and gateway).

On the r7000 Basic >> Internet page, i tried to choose static ip and provide the dns servers but the page won't save. It doesn't like the 255.255.255.248 subnet msk. It will simply indicate the the IP address is invalid and reload the page. a pain in the ass.

I'm not even sure this is how this needs to be done.
any ideas/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Message 1 of 13
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: How to configure the R7000 with a static IP block from timewarner (any provider !

Not sure about the subnet mask bits, that's one of those cases where I knew at one time, but due to not using the information have forgotten You can read about that one on the internet, but you would set the static IP's in the camera's themselves. Make sure that the static IP's are outside of the DHCP pool, of course.

I usually also use "address reservation" to document the static IP's in the router as well, but that one's just what I do, since I forget what those MAC addresses belong to pretty quickly.
Message 2 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: How to configure the R7000 with a static IP block from timewarner (any provider !

I'm fairly certain given the way the R7000 functions that you cannot put the webcams on your internal network, aka on the LAN side of the R7000.

You would have to connect your cable gateway/modem to an ethernet switch and connect the webcams to it. Then connect the R7000 WAN port to the switch as well.

However, if the R7000 won't accept a 29-bit subnet mask, it's not going to work. I would suggest opening a case with Netgear and see if such a thing is possible.
Message 3 of 13
nlazouzi
Aspirant

Yes, as I stated previously, I assigned the webcams the static IPs provided by TW. The router has to be somehow aware of the IP block. Maybe static routes...or something else. Does Anyone know ?
Message 4 of 13
nlazouzi
Aspirant

I will get in touch with netgear to verify if the r7000 will not indeed support /29 subnet. Thanks for the help.
If anyone feels otherwise, please let me know ur thoughts.
Thank you
Message 5 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The WAN port and LAN port on the R7000 cannot exist in the same IP subnet, I'm almost certain of that.

The only way for you to have the webcams use static IPs like that would be to put them in the same physical subnet as the WAN interface of the R7000. The TW gateway upstream from you would be responsible for routing the entire subnet, so the R7000 actually wouldn't figure into the equation.

Honestly, I don't think you're going to find that the R7000 will suffice for what you need. It's not designed to do static NAT that way you're wanting.
Message 6 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

How are you assigning the static IP (TW ) to webcam behind the R7000?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You will NOT able to use useable static IP assign to your LAN side period
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 13
nlazouzi
Aspirant

The static IPs are assigned manually to each webcam. I need to figure out how to get the router to recognize those IPs.

The R7000 may not be capable of handling this. i'll have to double check with netgear.
Message 9 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

To do this, you'd need a router that supports static 1:1 NAT entries. You'd put the webcams in the DMZ with private addresses and then configure your router to forward traffic destined for the public IPs to the private addresses. Unfortunately, the R7000 does not support this.
Message 10 of 13
nlazouzi
Aspirant

Can you recommend an AC1900 router that does support this ?
Thank you
Message 11 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Netgear do not have ac1900 in business class router

You need forwarding capability that can assimg WAN IP

Prosafe router can but you will need to use r7000 as apple and use prosafe router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 13
JAMESMTL
Novice

You should be able to accomplish what you are trying do by installing ddwrt on your r7000. I suspect the easiest method would be to have some iptable rules NATing the individual wan IPs to specific LAN IPs on your private net.

Of course if you insist on statically assigning the public IP to the cameras themselves you would probably need to set up a virtual wireless adaptor assigned to a separate bridge and some iptable rules.

Google ddwrt multiple wan IPs
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E