Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

How to connect Nighthawk X10 Plex Media Server to NAS

Today I purchased the new X10 router to replace my X8. One of the main features I was planning to take advantage of, is the new built-in Plex Media Server. Upon configuring the Plex Server I found that it only supports media libraries that are on a USB drive directly attached to the router (why?). I have a large media library storage on a NAS and was disappointed to find that is cannot see my drive. 

I'd like to see support for this added in a future firmware update...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to connect Nighthawk X10 Plex Media Server to NAS

I am also interested in the answer to this question.  I was considering buying the X10 but I use a QNAP NAS and it wasn't obvious how I would point the Plex Server to the media files on my NAS.  If it is true that the Plex Server can only see attached drives via the USB port, I would also like to see support for NAS storage devices.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 76
Highlighted
Star

Why not install plex on your QNAP NAS?

Message 3 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

I believe the plex when configured all the storage should be visible.

Did you tried the port agregation feature to see if this is dedicated for NAS devices as per Netgear ad . It should be automatically used for scanning for media.

May be that will be future addition to enable the plex to search for the devices connected to lan via port agregation alone.   

Message 4 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

By the way how the is the world fastest router is performing.

If you could post some insight then it will give a view on what can be expected and what not . As its also one of costly router ever released $499 only ,

It does host a number of features including 10gb port sfp. Also media server. Which is still good to have.

If possible share some video on the feature's .

Does the Active anntenna's is tweaked better as you came from x8.

Message 5 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

I did try that when I first got the NAS and it was incredibly slow.  I currently have my Plex Server on a desktop computer and have it point to my NAS for the media directories, it works well.  But sometimes reaching it from the outside can be hit or miss and it doesn't play well with VPNs.   I was thinking having it on the router would solve some of those issues.

Message 6 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

You mean to say laptop runs server which is pointed to NAS which you wanted to route to x10 prime which connected all the connected devices .

I doubt this feature can be easily implemented without complexity .

Say if you are connecting 2-3 devices via lan for file sharing or internet access. in the same NAS also exist.

its would not be easy to get the NAS and other clients as storage source for indexing . As they may not be constant.

it might be possible for the media server to have an option to select 1 or 2 port which will be used for indexing the media files. Which i would presume. Will take more time to get it implemented. As Plex team should work with Netgear to get it done. As this initiative is both company colloboration.

More over is that VPN is used for what exactly here.

Message 7 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

I don't have the R9000 X10.  I was just doing my research before deciding and read several accounts that the Plex Server can only see drives attached to the router's USB ports.  I understand having a small USB thumb drive to hold the server software and database, but you should be able to point to the NAS files for the movies/pictures/music.  As far as I have read, you have to add your media to the attached drive for the Plex Server to see them, which seems like a strange contraint to impose.

I currently have the R7000 and it works really well.

Message 8 of 76
Highlighted
Initiate

I too would like to see support for NAS devices as storage for the plex server.  Please add in a future firmware upgrade.  My NAS doesn't even have a USB port

Message 9 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

I agree. I'm about to receive a NIghthawk X10 which I've purchased mainly due to the Plex functionality. I assumed, clearly wrongly, that the media on my QNAP TS-451 would be accessible via a LAN connection and not via USB - which seems a very strange way of implementing this feature. I do hope that Netgear and Plex can update this feature to allow us QNAP and Synology users to use our NAS devices as media source for the NIghthawk routers. In the meantime, I'll be continuing to use Plex on the QNAP to drive my multimedia environment and not go through the tedium of copying my video files to yet another storage medium. Hopefully this will be fixed shortly!!

Message 10 of 76
Highlighted
Apprentice

I too have an x10 and a NAS, dont have a USb drive so don't know if NAS files are accessible if it is connected.

Message 11 of 76
Highlighted
Apprentice

I too have an x10 and a NAS, dont have a USb drive so don't know if NAS files are accessible if it is connected.

Message 12 of 76
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's clear in the manual, USB only.

Message 13 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Currently, the Plex will only work with a drive that's attached through the USB port. 

Can I add media content from my NAS or a mapped network drive to R9000 Nighthawk x10 PLEX media serv...

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

@austar123

Why on earth would you not have your TS-451 running Plex anyway?

Sending the data to the R9000 over LAN to then forward on/transcode is just adding an unnecessary step

In my opinion the R9000's Plex Server is aimed at people who do not have this type of capability in their set up already.

You have a powerful QNAP NAS designed specifically to serve HD Media files both through HDMI and over your network, via HD Station, Twonky, Plex or a few others

Modem: Bipac 8800NL | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 15 of 76
Highlighted
Apprentice

I think the router has a better processor.
Message 16 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

It does, but thats only one element.

Message 17 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

First, I have a TS-251 not TS-451.   Second, as I indicated before (see thread above), that was the first thing I tried when I got the NAS and it was incredible slow.   My desktop computer has a much better processor and more memory and works great with zero lag time when streaming.  The NAS took much longer just to start streaming and was not that great during playback.  The data read/write rate from the mapped drive of the NAS on my desktop is extremely fast with no issues (4-5X better than an attached USB drive).  The only issue with the desktop computer and Plex is Plex doesn't play nice if I have the VPN active and want to connect when I am on the road.  I was thinking having Plex on the router might make that easier to deal with.

Message 18 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

Hi @rmcindoe, I was actually answering @austar123 post.

With regards to your TS-251, its probably your RAM, although it could be down to data transfer rates of your network.

I have a TS-251 which I upgraded to 8GB ram, and it will quite comfortably play media through HDMI while streaming to multiple TVs around the house.

With regards to your VPN issue, i don't know whether running straight off the router will improve things

Message 19 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the x10, pulling my hair out over the past couple months getting 4k to work. Ended up checking the DTS audio option on my Samsung 6 UHD and it solved everything. I know not every device has that option, but worth looking for.

I also tried and returned a qnap. did not handle HD very well at all.

Also, rasplex is impressive as well, plays just about everything. I've tried it on raspberry pi and odroid-c2 with very good results (openPHT on the odroid)

Message 20 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

LOL.  Wasted $450.00.  Ehhh it is still okay as a router anyway at least as good as the $40.00 I was using.  If only I could find a 34TB USB drive...

Message 21 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've got the QNAP TS-451 also and was hoping the X10 Plexx server would read all the media files on my QNAP.  Might hold off buying until this feature is added.

Message 22 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

I very much wish that I had waited.  

Message 23 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is a complete deal breaker for me, and I assume for anyone else with TB's of media files on a NAS (QNAP, Synology, Drobo, etc.). I was seriously considering purchasing the X10, but without this feature or some workaround, it will not happen for me. This should be supported natively by the X10, not hidden in the fine print, especially since Plex is promoting this router on their website as follows:

"The X10 also utilizes the 10Gig port on the Annapurna chip for high bandwidth, low latency, data transfer to and from network storage."

To and from network storage doesn't usually mean requiring users to transfer their data from a NAS to a USB thumb drive just to use the Plex Server - not that anyone has actually invented a 30TB USB 3.0 thumb drive last time I checked =)

Has anyone who has already purchased the X10 tried to use a USB 3.0 to Ethernet dongle?? Not sure how that would affect transfer rates, but would that at least allow the X10 to connect to a NAS via the USB 3.0 port, so that the Plex Server running on the X10 would be able to see the media files on the NAS?

Kind of hoping we can can solve this $450 oversight with a $20 solution similar to this:

Anker USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gibabit Ethernet Adapter

Would be awesome if one of you who already own the X10, or one of the forum mods, could answer that question. It will be a buy/no buy decision based on whether or not that is a viable alternative. I know this "should work in theory", but I need to know if this will actually work with the X10 in the real world. Thanks for any feedback.

Message 24 of 76
Highlighted
Initiate

Are they are even working on a firmware update? I still need to upgrade my router, but I refuse to buy a USB HDD when I already have a NAS drive. I guess the Asus RT-AC5300 it is. 

Message 25 of 76