Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to connect Nighthawk X10 Plex Media Server to NAS

I've given up on running Plex on this router, and feel most disappointed by Netgear. I have returned to running Plex on my QNAP NAS. Yes, I should have read the small print where it says that Plex on the router is only supported via USB connected media storage. I just assumed it would also accomodate NAS storage. Incidentally, the support for port trunking doesn't seem to work either, despite the Netgear displaying "active" in the GUI. Altogether an expensive mistake on my part, but that will teach me not to assume anything!

Message 26 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

A trial firmware for Plex Server to support NAS devices is currently being tested Smiley Happy

Modem: Bipac 8800NL | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 27 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For all those who want to try the beta firmware, kindly PM me your details such as your Customer ID. 

Thank you!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 28 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

Happy to give the beta a try.......what do you need from me?

cheers

Message 29 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@austar123 Sent the request to our support team. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 30 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

I currently running Plex service off my QNAP TS-451+

If I can take advantage of Plex server processing power on X10 router and just to link to NAS share drive then it would be nice.

This will help my QNAP RAMs and CPU load,  just use it as share drive.

Message 31 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

thank you for your thought.

Message 32 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

I agreed.   QNAP NAS already powerful enough to handle streaming.

IMG_2529.JPG

Message 33 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ubolvivat Are you interested to try the beta firmware? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 34 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

Thanks for asking but I haven't purchased the R9000, I have the R7000 and was thinking about replacing it.  Once the NAS connection has been added, I will strongly consider it.

Message 35 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. 

As we await for the feedback of those who have tested it then we will most likely move forward from there. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 36 of 76
Highlighted
Luminary

this singular update could pull this router out of the fire for Netgear!!!

Message 37 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

Hi ElaineM,

I've been tring to get the new firmware (plex-to-nas) working for a week now and thought you might be interested in my experience so far:

1. The new firmware installs and is stable.
  2. There was no documentation provided, and the technical support has been hopeless. I've supplied screenshots where the Plex setup failed and a number of observations with no response.
  3. In the absence of documentation, I've tried a number of configurations. Contrary to how I thought it would work, the X10 still seems to require a USB drive (albeit a 15GB thumb drive) on which the Plex Media database resides. If there is no USB drive, the X10 doesn't connect to my QNAP TS-451 which holds my media data.
  4. With the USB drive formatted (NTFS) and installed on the X10, the Plex setup seems to work, though the screen which (I assume) should show the connections to the media shares (in my case /Multimedia/Movies and /Multimedia/TV Shows) only shows one connection - and shows as disconnected.
  5. However, notwithstanding 4 above, Plex launches and you can setup the Plex media folders in the normal way.
  6. Launching Plex in Chrome (plex.tv), the X10 shows as a Plex server and starts to display the media files. In my case, I like the poster displays, so am prepared to wait whilst the PMS goes and finds artwork and other material from the normal sources. But ths has been running for two DAYS now, and only about 5% of the 1200 movies I have on the QNAP have been processed. The TV shows have yet to start indexing within Plex. For those Movie files that have been processed, most time out when you attempt to play.

So my conclusions so far:

• This is not a well-run beta program and the documention should be provided to the testers urgently.
  • If the implementation relies on the Plex database being on an attached USB drive, the project will have failed.
  • If the performance is as I experience, the project will have failed.
  • If users have a powerful NAS capable of transcoding, running Plex on the NAS will probably be the far better solution.

Sorry if these experiences come across as negative - I really am very keen for this to work as I agree that it is a fundamental requirement that Plex can access network attached storage. Otherwise, it really is a very expensive router!

Regards

Message 38 of 76
Highlighted
Apprentice

At least you have the firmware, I am still waiting.

Message 39 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

Frustrating I'm sure - but I may have saved you some time. Not sure that our friends at Netgear know how to run a beta program! I'll give it another week to see if any sort of dialogue develops.

Message 40 of 76
Highlighted
Prodigy

@austar123

I think your last comment is a little harsh on Netgear.  This is beta firmware, and there is likely to be some glitches / bumps that need ironing out, that's why it is tested.  There are a number of beta testers that have been working on this (and previous) firmwares for a while, and Netgear have put the firmware out for public release to gain experience from a wider audience.  It is not final firmware.

With regards to a couple of your points, firstly documentation.  Yes that maybe could have been handled better, but the Netgear staff were concentrating on releasing a firmware that supported the requests of many, that is to support NAS servers.  The official beta testers received little more than you did.

Secondly, you mention that it doesn't work without a USB attached.  This is correct, and is hardly a deal breaker.  Where exactly do you think the Plex Server is going to store its library structure, information, thumbnails etc?  The router does not have any permanent storage of its own, and it's not going to store it on your NAS.

Thirdly, 'If users have a powerful NAS capable of transcoding, running Plex on the NAS will probably be the far better solution'.  Totally agree, and I have made this point before.  Why would you introduce another step in the process if you already have the capability?

I appreciate it is frustrating, but this is part of beta testing.  Once all the issues, bugs, glitches whatever you want to call them are fixed a more solid firmware version will become available.  Everyone is working hard to make this happen.

Modem: Bipac 8800NL | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 41 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dmystic1 Kindly check your inbox. Support has been reaching out to you. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 42 of 76
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ubolvivat wrote:

I agreed.   QNAP NAS already powerful enough to handle streaming.

Plex ix now supporting hardware support for transcoding with intel CPU's.

No need to install PMS on the X10 if you have an intel QNAP.

Plex ix now supporting hardware support for transcoding with intel CPU's.

Message 43 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

Want to give the beta firmware a go asap, my NAS is reduntant with all my dat on it.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 44 of 76
Highlighted
Tutor

While covered by the NDA I won't give specific comments but I will say Great Job Netgear!  

Message 45 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

I would also be interested in the beta firmware. Please PM me when you have a moment.

Thanks in advance!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 46 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TheMightThor They have sent you a copy. Kindly check your inbox. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 47 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, I accepted the terms of the agreement and look forward to trying the beta when they send me the URL.

Message 48 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TheMightyThor You're welcome. Feel free to provide us your feedback once you have tested it out. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 49 of 76
Highlighted
Star

Is there any beta firmware for the Nighthawk R8500?
Message 50 of 76