Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to connect Nighthawk X10 Plex Media Server to NAS

@JoBro There's no beta firmware and there are no plans for R8500 to run Plex.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 51 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

ElaineM, just like to say a big thank you for all your assistance. Loaded the Beta FW and my NAS is now fully usable and Plex is associated with the media files it contains.

Regards.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 52 of 76
Highlighted
Star

@ElaineM I wasn't asking if there would be a beta firmware for the R8500 which would have a plex server in it, i was more referring in general if there was any beta firmware for the R8500... and yes I know that this is the X10 discussion forum, its just that there was a lot of talk about beta firmwares with netgear representatives, so I thought i'd ask.

Message 53 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JoBro We do not have any ongoing beta trial for R8500. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 54 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

PSA Plex is working on a beta currently to enable the X10 Router to access NAS units. Release Out.

There is a link to the beta software in this thread on the Plex forums.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/253200/r9000-plex-only-supports-1-usb-drive

Message 55 of 76
Highlighted
Star

@ElaineM

I just upgraded my R8500 to the R9000... Whats the latest beta firmware? my R9000 is currently on firmware v1.0.1.36

Message 56 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

U can download the firmward img. Or just look at the file name. It is not an official l release yet so the version number doesn't correlate. It has a longer name unlike 1.x.x.x.

I installed the beta and tried it justIt to see if would help with my problems getting up and running with Plex. It does in fact expand the options of attached storage to include NAS media. I still cannot get Plex to install on my Fullyusb recognized Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB drive. I'll try my QNAP mini asap.
Message 57 of 76
Highlighted
Star

@Johndog

I use a QNAP TVS-EC1080+ with Plex and its been working great for over a year... I didnt buy this router for Plex, rather better wifi, which so far seems to be better than the R8500...

Message 58 of 76
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JoBro The beta firmware is version 1.0.2.6. This integrates the use of Plex with a NAS. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 59 of 76
Highlighted
Star

@ElaineM

Ok thanks, will it upgrade to the next stable release? or will i need to mnanually update to the stable release?

Message 60 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

U must manually download and install the stable release as it is older than the beta.
Message 61 of 76
Highlighted
Star

@Johndog

Not the current stable release... which I know is an older version number, I meant the next stable release after the beta code goes final in the current beta...

Message 62 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

@JoBro

Oh, yes. The next release should auto install once Netgear approves of it. If you should want it sooner, do it manually.
Message 63 of 76
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ElaineM wrote:

@JoBro The beta firmware is version 1.0.2.6. This integrates the use of Plex with a NAS. 

Does tha NAS need to be directly connected to the X10?  or can it be anywhere on the LAN?

Curious ....

Aloke

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 64 of 76
Highlighted
Star

Anywhere on the LAN as long as there is connectivity between the router and the NAS.

Message 65 of 76
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Wow!  Good stuff!!

I have to ask, though: Would anyone run Plex on the X10 if the NAS had powerful enough CPU?

Plex is beta testing native support of Intel CPU on NAS's...

I can't wait until someone benchmarks Plex on X10 vs on i3 and i5 NAS's.

Message 66 of 76
Highlighted
Guide

No you wouldn't! I gave up on the beta because there was no benefit. Running Plex on a QNAP TS-451 gave far better performance - as you'd expect I guess......

Message 67 of 76
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Native support of the GPU (there is one on the X10, I assume ..) could make a difference. 

It used to bug me that Plex supported the GPU on Nvidia Shield but not Intel CPU's.

But now, with Plex adding support for Intel GPU's the decision is much easier...

Now, I have to wait till Qnap adds HDR support to the HDMI ports of their UHD-capable NAS's (in the sub-$800 price range)...

(I know this is more important if I run Kodi etc or Qnap's multimedia apps, but still, I want the option of directly connecting the NAS to my receiver..)

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I'm done.. for now

Message 68 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

I plan on testing if my QNAP 453mini is comparable with PMS native using its Celeron, or if it's better used as data storage in Raid 0. That is if support will ever call me. My case has been escalated to lvl 2 I've provided them with all info . Plex will not install on anything... But I can manually copy files, read & write to my WD Passport 4TB & My 4TB Seagate BUP Fast usb 3 drives while they're plugged into the r9000. It can dl torrents also, but does not write to the disks.
Any ideas?
Message 69 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just wondering what the latest version is... still having issues with R9000-V1.0.2.10-plex-binary-V1.0.3.

If there is a newer version, please let me know.

Thanks!

Message 70 of 76
Highlighted
Luminary

there's a December 2016 version already deployed....check that the date on the version you have is that recent

Message 71 of 76
Highlighted
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Native support of the GPU (there is one on the X10, I assume ..) could make a difference. 

It used to bug me that Plex supported the GPU on Nvidia Shield but not Intel CPU's.

Plenty of other Plex Server limitations on the other hand.

@alokeprasad wrote:

But now, with Plex adding support for Intel GPU's the decision is much easier...

Now, I have to wait till Qnap adds HDR support to the HDMI ports of their UHD-capable NAS's (in the sub-$800 price range)...

...for now, still no x86/x86_64 SoC with embedded GPU and HDMI 2.0a support. 

Message 72 of 76
Highlighted
Guru

@Johndog wrote:
I plan on testing if my QNAP 453mini is comparable with PMS native using its Celeron, or if it's better used as data storage in Raid 0.

A NAS in this class would be underloaded just for handling RAID0 and some external CIFS mount connections.

@Johndog wrote:
Plex will not install on anything... But I can manually copy files, read & write to my WD Passport 4TB & My 4TB Seagate BUP Fast usb 3 drives while they're plugged into the r9000. It can dl torrents also, but does not write to the disks.

The Plex Media Server application will be installed on the X10 internal Flash, on a UBIFS file system.

root@R9000:/# mount | grep plex
ubi1Smiley Tonguelexmediaserver on /tmp/plexmediaserver type ubifs (rw,relatime)

The Plex Media Server library on the X10 will (and must) be held on an external storage device, in a folder which looks named ot be used for other R9000 applications, too:

root@R9000:/# ls -als /tmp/mnt/sda1/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 1 14:47 Cache
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 18 20:36 Codecs
4 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Mar 1 14:46 Logs
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 1 12:00 Media
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 1 12:11 Metadata
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 18 20:36 Plug-in Support
0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 1 10:32 Plug-ins
4 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 628 Mar 1 14:31 Preferences.xml
4 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Mar 1 10:31 plexmediaserver.pid

You must run an official and recent Netgear Beta, available under NDA via the Netgear Community people and the Netgear Support - released and many of the illegally shared versions have issues.

Message 73 of 76
Highlighted
Aspirant

I might be late to the party but i just recently got my hands on an x10 and it appears it does support local network drives for your plex media to run.

Capture.PNG

Message 74 of 76
Highlighted
Guru

@jfsalisbury wrote:

I might be late to the party but i just recently got my hands on an x10 and it appears it does support local network drives for your plex media to run.

Yes, it was added with the 1.0.2.xx builds, 1.0.2.18 is avaialble as Beta officially.

Message 75 of 76