How to connect WD My Cloud Mirror NAS storage to R8000

smgeron1
Aspirant

How to connect WD My Cloud Mirror NAS storage to R8000

The WD doesn't appear to be compatible, nor do other NAS devices.   Even the Netgear's own NAS device!   I'm looking for answers to:   a) why WD My Cloud Mirror isn't compatible;  b) how to make it compatible; c) why the Netgear's own ReadyNAS devices apparently aren't compatible; and d) which NAS devices ARE compatible.

Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to connect WD My Cloud Mirror NAS storage to R8000

What issues are you seeing?

The ReadyNAS would work fine with your R8000.

Message 2 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello smgeron1,

Perhaps provide more info such as what ReadyNAS product you are trying to use with your WD. I checked WD My Cloud Mirror and this appears to be connecting through Ethernet. Are you trying to connect it to the LAN port of the ReadyNAS? ReadyNAS is Netgear Network Attached Storage, by the way.

ReadyNAS needs to be connected to a network as it needs to get an IP address so other hosts can access it. If you are going to connect your WD My Cloud to its NIC then it will not be able to connect to the network, how will you be able to access it then?

Regards,

JennC
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 3 of 11
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smgeron1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

FramerV
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 11
smgeron1
Aspirant

It was not.  It was too technical, and not specific enough to help a non-techie like me.  I returned the WD NAS storage and bought another WD USB HD that the website says is compatible with R8000.  I haven’t tried it yet.   There are so many things wrong about the Support site at Netgear that make it difficult to find useful information!   However, I have premium support and I have been very pleased (on 2 of the 3 calls I’ve made) with the tech support.   S

Message 5 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello smgeron1,

So, we are not talking about any ReadyNAS unit here but just R8000?

Regards,

JennC
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 11
smgeron1
Aspirant

I was trying to connect a WD NAS storage device to my R8000.   So, I assume the problem is either with one, or both.   

Message 7 of 11
smgeron1
Aspirant

And I still don't understand why I couldn't connect it to my R8000, and I still haven't heard why in the world the Netgear's own ReadyNAS series isn't compatible with the R8000.   Perhaps you can tell me that.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@smgeron1 wrote:

And I still don't understand why I couldn't connect it to my R8000, and I still haven't heard why in the world the Netgear's own ReadyNAS series isn't compatible with the R8000.   Perhaps you can tell me that.

The ReadyNAS certainly is compatible.  No idea about the My Cloud, since I have never owned one.

There's been more than one request for you to provide some details on exactly how you tried to connect them - so far you haven't.  We can't help you if you choose not to respond to questions.

Message 9 of 11
smgeron1
Aspirant

This is an unbelieveable response!   My attempts to get tech support have been painfully ineffective and unhelpful - and you are blaming me.  I spent an hour on the phone to one of your tech support staff - and she couldn't tell me whether the READY NAS was compatible, or why it or other NAS devices weren't.  I should have returned my Netgear device then and there.   My attempts to use the email service have not been helpful either.   Show me where any of the repsonse you have given have answered the question about ReadyNAS compatibiliity - until yours.  My original problem was that the WD Mirror Cloud NAS device wasn't compatible with the new R8000 router.  I never learned why not, or how to fix the problem.  I assure you I will not be purchasing any Netgear products in the future I assure you!   Now - please stop sending me any more replies!  

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@smgeron1 wrote:

This is an unbelieveable response!   My attempts to get tech support have been painfully ineffective and unhelpful ....  

I don't work for Netgear, I am just a community member. I have several ReadyNAS models, and all work fine with a variety of routers, including Nighthawk models.  I could guess what you might have done wrong, but just guessing would do more harm than good.

If you want help here (and this is NOT Netgear support) then start by telling us how you connected the ReadyNAS to the router.  

-What model ReadyNAS is it?

-Did you use ethernet, or did you try to use USB? 

-Did you connect both ethernet NIC cards ports or just one?

That would be enough to get started.

@smgeron1 wrote:

My original problem was that the WD Mirror Cloud NAS device... 

Yes, but you are posting in a ReadyNAS forum, not the Nighthawk router forum.  You might get better answers on the WD Cloud device in the Nighthawk forum.  But solving the ReadyNAS problem might also resolve the WD Cloud device problem.

EDIT- someone (likely Netgear) just moved the thread from the ReadyNAS forums to Nighthawk.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E