Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to create a VLAN based on devices MAC adresse with the RAX200

encore64
Aspirant

How to create a VLAN based on devices MAC adresse with the RAX200

Hello,

I had a NETGEAR  R7000 router which was perfectly working for 6 years now and I recently had the opportunity to increase my ISP internet access from 100Mbs to 1Gbs but unfortunately my old good R7000 was limitating the data flow to 250Mbs instead of the available 1Gbs => I have replaced it recently by a NETGEAR  RAX200 and since then  everything is fine... Then I realized recently  that  my TVs, TV recorders and my apple TV box could "see" all my local network devices (NAS, etc) as they were on the same network. Smiley Sad
I am not a geek => I do not know a lot about networking stuff but by searching here and there on the internet it seems that I could put all my TV devices to a separate network using  the VLAN features so they could access the internet but not my local network devices.  =>I was expecting simply to create a VLAN from the RAX200  and somehow associate the TV deviecs MAC addresses in this VLAN so they could be isolated from my localk network but I have no idea  if it is possible  to do this with the RAX200 as the Advanced settings\VLAN|bridge settings page does not seems to allow me to declare some MAC adresses.

I am wondering if I should  then buy a new "manageable bridge" (supporting the giga bits) in order to be able to declare these few devices in a separate VLAN if it is not possible to configure this with the RAX200... In this case,could you please suggest me a switch reference / name allowing me to achieve this VLAN configuration based on MAC adresses please ? as I already got a NETGEAR GS116 switch for all my TV related devices but it is not a manageable one

many thanks in advance for your help &suggestions 
Eric
p.s. sorry for my bad English...

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: How to create a VLAN based on devices MAC adresse with the RAX200

@encore64 wrote:

I had a NETGEAR  R7000 router which was perfectly working for 6 years now and I recently had the opportunity to increase my ISP internet access from 100Mbs to 1Gbs but unfortunately my old good R7000 was limitating the data flow to 250Mbs instead of the available 1Gbs

There is no reason why an R7000 should deliver a lot more than 250 Mbps. So there may be something else in there causing you problems.

Did you reset the R7000 before you switched to the new service? You need to get it to forget any old settings.

@encore64 wrote:

Then I realized recently  that  my TVs, TV recorders and my apple TV box could "see" all my local network devices (NAS, etc) as they were on the same network.

Nothing wrong with that. Indeed, I'd be worried of they were not on the same network. But maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Where does this VLAN come into the picture? What is it? What is it supposed to do?

Perhaps someone else has a better understating of what you are talking about.

The RAX200 technology is not the same as the standard Nighthawk routers covered in this section.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 5
encore64
Aspirant

Hello Mr @michaelkenward,

thanks for your answer.

Did you reset the R7000 before you switched to the new service? You need to get it to forget any old settings.

No I haven't even tried this but when I search on internet about this probem I found other people having the same kind of issue (with download rated limited at ~300/400Mbs) and as I got this router since 6 years  now (which is almost a century in "IT years") I concluded that it was probabaly normal that my router was not supporting fully the Gigabit.

In fact the idea is to prevent somehow all these "TV-related" devices to access my private files stored on my NAS and therfore, I was tinking to put all these devices in a separate network not having access to my "normal" one.

but in fact you gave me an idea, if I cannot configure this using a VLAN I could perhaps reuse my old good R7000 and put all these TV devices on a separate physical e.g. 192.168.2.xxx LAN  (compared to the   192.168.1.xxx adresses range of my RAX200 ) so they should be isolated somehow from the rest of my home LAN devices....

Thanks again for your answers and the link, I will search if I found anything else about RAX200 VLAN configs before reusing my R7000 then .

Best regards,
Eric

Message 3 of 5

@encore64 wrote:

In fact the idea is to prevent somehow all these "TV-related" devices to access my private files stored on my NAS and therfore, I was tinking to put all these devices in a separate network not having access to my "normal" one.

I still don't understand how you expect things too be able to work if they are on separate network.

But my first move would be to find a way to isolate the files. In the NAS devices I use, you actually have to work hard to make files visible on the network.

Start from the files and work out how to protect them. Messing around with subnets and VPNs sounds a bit tortuous. I like to keep things simple.

Message 4 of 5
encore64
Aspirant

Hello,

thansk for your answer,  my NAS is not visible from the internet and accessible via Samba from my LAN with a login/password (with admin & guest account disabled) so it should be "sufficient" I guess to protect the files access I guess but in order to be 100% sure I would prefer to put some deviecs on a  separate network and that's why I was thinking that VLAn should be a nice solution for this kind of problem...

in fact since my last answerI bought a NETGEAR GS308T manageable switch as I have read on the web that you can create VLAN based on MAC address with this switch.
The VLAN creation with mac addresses is working fine as these VLAN devices are really isolated from my other network  but ... the "isolation" is too strong as they can even not see anymore my RAX200 router and therfore I have no internet access from these TV devices. ..
I guess I have missed something in the configuration to connect this VLAN to the outside world  (still digging why it does not work)

My idea was simply to isolate a few TV devices from the rest of my network so they do not see each other but nevertheless these TV devices should still have access to internet. 
I tought that creating a VLAN was the solution for this simple problem  but apparently it seems that  I will have to take networking courses before being able to implement this at home Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7