Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to create a mesh system with C6900

Byter
Aspirant

How to create a mesh system with C6900

Can a mesh WiFi system be created using an existing C6900 router. I have tried a range extender with little success. Thanks for any help. 

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How to create a mesh system with C6900

You would need one of our mesh extenders a normal one will not make the network mesh.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6

@Byter wrote:

I have tried a range extender with little success.

What are you planning to do?

What did you try that delivered "little success"?

As @DarrenM says, only a Mesh extender will provide Mesh, but if you are looking for a fancy wifi setup with lots of different sources you might do better to investigate the Orbi range. That comes with its own router, which could clash with the C6900, but Orbi works fine in access point mode and can support any number of satellites.

Message 3 of 6
Byter
Aspirant

I tried to integrate an EX3700 at a weak area in the home of our WiFi network. This extender device keeps fading in and out, and won't stay connected as I had hoped. 

Which mesh extender matches well with the C6900 Nighthawk modem/router? I'm not to tech savvy. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 6

@Byter wrote:

I tried to integrate an EX3700 at a weak area in the home of our WiFi network. This extender device keeps fading in and out, and won't stay connected as I had hoped. 

I am not convinced that a Mesh system would be any better. I would investigate why the extender does not work.

The idea of Mesh isn't so much to wipe out "not spots" as to make it a seamless transition as you move from place to place. Replacing an extender with a Mesh extender isn't going to do a lot to improve the wifi link between the extender and the router.

Then again, the EX3700 isn't big enough to be the most powerful extender on the block. Look at the size of the thing.

A Mesh extender might deliver a better link with the router. But so might an ordinary extender with better specifications.

Forget about making your own assumptions about what you need, try feeding your requirements into this place:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Of course, wifi is a distance thing. You might be able to get better performance by moving things around, like our router and your existing extender.

Message 5 of 6
Byter
Aspirant

Thanks for the help, I will check that link!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7