Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to disable DHCP on R7000P

Badock
Tutor

How to disable DHCP on R7000P

I can uncheck the DHCP box on Advanced/Setup/LAN Setup but when I attempt to Apply the changed configuration, I get the error message "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a different IP address."  I've changed nothing else on the page except deselecting Use Router as DHCP Server.  Reloading the page shows that the DHCP Server is still selected.

How can I get past this this error message?

Wan is served by a cable modem which gives the router a Wan IP in the 66.51.xxx.xxx range.

My router is running the V1.3.1.64_10.1.36  firmware.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Badock
Tutor

Re: How to disable DHCP on R7000P

Success!

I'm on the latest firmware: V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 

I did a hard reset and reconfigured the router.  On the page Advanced/Setup/LAN Setup, I changed the router IP to 192.168.10.1 and hit Apply.  Once the router rebooted, I changed the IP back tp 192.168.1.1, turned off the DHCP Server and hit Apply.  Also turned on the DHCP Server on the Pi-Hole.  This got everything working.  Apparently the router wants to see a change in it's IP address when turning off the DHCP Server.  I don't know why.

Thanks to @antinode  and @schumaku  for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a
> different IP address." [...]

That sounds as if it should be a complaint about the WAN address and
the LAN IP subnet.  What do you see under ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup :
LAN TCP/IP Setup?

What were you expecting to use as a DHCP server after disabling the
one on the R7000P?  How is that one configured?  Is it already active on
your LAN?

If the router settings look reasonable, but the router complains in
unexpected ways, then I'd try a settings reset and manual configuration
of the router.

> Wan is served by a cable modem [...]

Not a very detailed description of that device.  Maker?  Model?  Is
it a modem or a modem+router?

Message 2 of 9
Badock
Tutor

I've attached a small png showing the LAN TCP/IP Setup.  It's in no way interfering with the WAN IP.  From here, I hit Apply and the error message pops up.  Reload the page and the DHCP Server shows as being selected again.

I'm running Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi 4B on the internal network.  It has a DHCP Server that is currently disabled.  Once I get the router's DHCP server off, I can enable the Pi-hole's DHCP server with a mouse click.  It's currently serving as the DNS server for the Lan with no problems.

I've been trying to get this going for a few days now.  Tonight, before my first post, I hard reset the router and reinstalled the firmware with the Update utility.  So there should be no leftover config.  It didn't help.

Cable modem is a Arris Surfboard SB6141, pure modem, not a router.

Wan IP is 66.51.xxx.xxx and Lan IP is 192.168.1.1 (the default) so I really don't understand what's going on.

Thanks for your help!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Netgear does not really want to understand the need to run an internal (LAN side) DNS server - the Netgear consumer routers don't allow configuring LAN-side DNS servers e.g. a Pi-hole why ever. The issues here where the DHCP is forced enable looks like a bug to me. If the router would allow a proper DNS config, operating the DHCP on the router would not be the worst idea.

One issue more for @ChristineT 's list of problems to report to the consumer BU management.

Message 4 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] looks like a bug to me. [...]

I agree.

> [...] reinstalled the firmware [...]

You might try loading some different/older firmware but I wouldn't
expect much.

Message 5 of 9
Badock
Tutor

Thanks, I'll try older firmware.  But I think you're probably right, it will likely not help.

Also, I said the DNS server was working fine on the Pi-Hole.  Not quite true.  Every request shows as coming from the router (192.168.1.1) which decreases the usefulness of the Query Log.  DNS Requests should be forwarded by the router (pass through) rather than answered by proxy.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Badock wrote:

Also, I said the DNS server was working fine on the Pi-Hole.  Not quite true.  Every request shows as coming from the router (192.168.1.1) which decreases the usefulness of the Query Log.

Be happy your router model does allow defining a DNS server on a LAN IP - not all do.

@Badock wrote:

DNS Requests should be forwarded by the router (pass through) rather than answered by proxy.

This must be related to the router based DHCP server: It does put the router LAN IP as a DNS server to the host config, regardless of the DNS server config. Another shortcoming of these consumer products

Message 7 of 9
Badock
Tutor

I installed firmware V1.3.0.20_10.1.1 just to see what it would do.  My error message when turning off DHCPD changed from complaining about the WAN IP to complaining about the LAN IP, which seems somewhat more reasonable.  Changing the router IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 allowed the changed to be saved.

I suspect that the complaint about the WAN IP is just a typo in the firmware source.  I'll try changing the router IP when I reload the V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 firmware in a few days, just to see if it works, though I still don't know why it forces a change to the IP.

Message 8 of 9
Badock
Tutor

Success!

I'm on the latest firmware: V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 

I did a hard reset and reconfigured the router.  On the page Advanced/Setup/LAN Setup, I changed the router IP to 192.168.10.1 and hit Apply.  Once the router rebooted, I changed the IP back tp 192.168.1.1, turned off the DHCP Server and hit Apply.  Also turned on the DHCP Server on the Pi-Hole.  This got everything working.  Apparently the router wants to see a change in it's IP address when turning off the DHCP Server.  I don't know why.

Thanks to @antinode  and @schumaku  for your help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7