Re: How to get the network time when using R7000 as a switch

netq
Tutor

How to get the network time when using R7000 as a switch

I use R7000 as a switch (disable the DHCP server, set a static IP addres ) and connect it to a main router,LAN to LAN.Everything is OK except for time synchronization.R7000 can't get the network time.I don't want to use the built-in AP mode.How can I solve this problem?

Many thanks!
Message 1 of 9
netq
Tutor

Any suggestions is welcome.
Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Buy a switch or use AP Mode, The wan port needs to be connected to get updates.

Message 3 of 9
netq
Tutor

Hi searay,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually I intend to use R7000 as AP. But it seems that the built-in AP mode may lead to some performance downgrading.I am not very sure about it.

WAN-OR-LAN-Port-for-Access-Point

Message 4 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Yes, AP mode disables hardware acceleration between the WAN and LAN ports.  But the R7000 can still handle up to about 450 Mbps without hardware acceleration.  If this is fast enough for your needs, then go ahead and use AP mode.

If you are using the R7000 as a switch, is it really that important for it to have the correct time?

Message 5 of 9
netq
Tutor

Hi TheEther,

I want to use the wireless schedule function which relies on the correct time.I think it would be better if I can set time manually.

Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Can't be done with netgear FW.

Message 7 of 9
TheEther
Guru

@netq wrote:

Hi TheEther,

I want to use the wireless schedule function which relies on the correct time.I think it would be better if I can set time manually.

I see.  Well, if you need this, then I think you're only option is to enable AP Mode and connect the R7000 to the network through its WAN port.

Message 8 of 9
netq
Tutor

<p>Now I enable the R7000 AP mode and connect it to the main router through LAN port.The time synchronization is normal while the speed is acceptable.Transfering a file between an old PC wired to the main router and a NAS wired to R7000,the speed is up to 80-90 MB/s.</p>
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E