Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to set static WAN address in WAP mode?

mlevin77
Tutor

How to set static WAN address in WAP mode?

I have my  WNDR4500   set to   Operation Mode:Access Point so that it can act as a WAP to my main router (Nighthawk 8000). Is there a way to set it to a static IP address on the main router? Right now, it grabbed an address by DHCP and even though I then gave it a different address reservation on the Nighthawk and rebooted both of them, it still holds on to the random older one. Is there some way to force it to let go and re-request the DHCP, or give it a static address that matches the reservation I set for it?  The Internet options page is grayed out in Access Point mode.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

I see.  By convention, when a DHCP server is set up to hand out a fixed address, we call it an "address reservation" or "DHCP reservation."  This is to avoid confusion with "static address", which does not use DHCP; a device merely starts using it without permission.  I saw "static", so I assumed it was a static address, not a DHCP reservation.  Anyway, glad you got it sorted out and sorry for misinterpreting what you did.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Follow the instructions on Page 114 of the manual for static IP address assignment. Just pick an IP address that is not in use, or change the size of your DHCP pool on your R8000, and assign your WAP an IP address outside of your DHCP pool. R8000 Manual - Page 123

Message 2 of 9
mlevin77
Tutor

> assign your WAP an IP address outside of your DHCP pool. 

I did that, but the WAP is still using the old (dynamic) address it grabbed - it won't let it go, to give the R8000 a chance to hand it the static assignment. I've got it set to assign the WAP to a static one, but even though I've rebooted them both, it insists in using the old address.  I'm trying to figure out how to make it release the address and re-request, or how to set a static one on the WAP itself.

Message 3 of 9
netwrks
Master

Reset the WAP to factory default. Once that is finished plug a laptop into one of the ports and reconfigure WAP.. 

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Do you have a switch between the WAP and the router?  That can make this tricker.

Try powering down the WAP, rebooting the router, then powering the WAP back up.

Message 5 of 9
mlevin77
Tutor

I did not have a switch between them. But my problem solved itself over night - somehow this morning, it's got the right IP - I guess the DHCP lease expired and it finally grabbed the correct one.

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

If the WNDR4500 is using a static address, then it doesn't need permission from the Nighthawk to use it.  What probably threw you off was that the old DHCP lease hadn't expired.  But the WNDR4500 was probably no longer using it.

Message 7 of 9
mlevin77
Tutor

My problem was exactly the reverse. I couldn't set a static address on the WNDR4500 because that whole screen is grayed out when it's set to WAP mode. So I set a static reservation for it on the  router (Nighthawk) but it wasn't using it (it was still using its old one). But the lease must have expired overnight because now it's fine.

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

I see.  By convention, when a DHCP server is set up to hand out a fixed address, we call it an "address reservation" or "DHCP reservation."  This is to avoid confusion with "static address", which does not use DHCP; a device merely starts using it without permission.  I saw "static", so I assumed it was a static address, not a DHCP reservation.  Anyway, glad you got it sorted out and sorry for misinterpreting what you did.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7