Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to setup R7000 (nighthawk AC1900) to work behind Arris BGW210-700?

rodz704
Follower

How to setup R7000 (nighthawk AC1900) to work behind Arris BGW210-700?

ATT ver port 80 warning-1  1.20.2021.JPGATT ver port 5000 warning-1  1.20.2021.JPGHi All,

I am not a network savvy type of person...

I have a Uverse TV & internet setting with a WAP for the TV boxes. The AT&T gateway is a BGW210-700.

I was connecting all my devices (laptops & tablets) directly to the gateway. That is until I installed a 3rd party Network monitor. From the monitor alerts and feedback I got, I was suggested to have a different network for my devices with a router. So I set the BGW210 into IP Passthrough and was able to achieve my goal with the help from people from this Forum... however, I did it with a with an old router (not necessarily the most secured?) until I would get a better one.

Purchased the R7000 (nighthawk AC1900; firmware: V1.0.9.88_10.2.88)  Configured it (router mode)... As for the BGW210, followed the IP Passthrough approach...

I connected the devices to the nighthawk (WIFI and ethernet) and left the TV devices connected to the BGW210...

When I run the 3rd party network monitor there are vulnerability warnings for the nighthawk the show up when the DVR and the WAP are connected to the BGW210. (see screen shots); there are none when they are not connected. 

The question is.... How can I be sure I set them both correctly? I do not think I did...

Any help, greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2

Re: How to setup R7000 (nighthawk AC1900) to work behind Arris BGW210-700?

@rodz704 wrote:

The AT&T gateway is a BGW210-700.

If that is this thing:

41O-qxhQ6RL._AC_SY450_

it is a modem/router. So you are trying to put one router behind another router.

Bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Those scary warnings are probably a red herring. Your "guardian" software isn't intelligent enough to recognise what is going on and doesn't like the way that Netgear connects to the R7000.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7