How to setup VPN from one router to another?

chmcke01
Aspirant

How to setup VPN from one router to another?

I provide IT support to several small non-profit offices across the state. Most are setup with a Nighthawk AC1900 in their offices and are working fine and several are using a VOIP phone system. One of these offices is opening up a branch location across town and they contacted the VOIP provider and asked about being able to have the people in that office connected to the same VOIP system so they could be transfer and be transferred to just as if they were in the same physical location. The VOIP company said this is possible if a VPN portal is setup between the locations. I know the basics of how to setup a VPN on Nighthawk and then allow a VPN connection using a client on the computer but for this to work it needs to be like router to router. 

So my first question is, can this be done without replacing the AC1900 Nighthawk in the main office? If so what do I need to purchase for the other office? 

If it cannot be done with the AC1900, what would be a recommended budget option to do this (since they are a non-profit budget is limited)? 

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to setup VPN from one router to another?

You cannot do router to router VPN with stock firmware.  It's possible with third party firmware, but I'm not sure you'd want to stake your job on it.  You may need to step up to business class gear.  Netgear has their line of VPN Firewalls.  You can find similar gear from other places.  A Ubiquiti Edgerouter should work, too.  Note both examples have no Wi-Fi.  You could relegate the Nighthawk to a pure Access Point for Wi-Fi. 

Message 2 of 4
chmcke01
Aspirant

Thanks. So if I went the route of the FVS318G, would I need one for the main office and one for the branch or how does that work? Basically how would I go about setting that up? Sorry, I am pretty new to actually setting up VPN.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Read the VPN chapter in the manual on gateway to gateway tunnels (link).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E