How to setup an older USB Scanner to the Router and Share???

Acertified
Aspirant

How to setup an older USB Scanner to the Router and Share???

I have an older Epson V700 USB Scanner that is not Wireless. I would like to hook it up to the R7000 Router to essentially make it wireless and share it with multiple computers that can access the router.

Any help or advice would be appreciated on how to do this.

Thank you
Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Re: How to setup an older USB Scanner to the Router and Share???

I want to suggest you forget sharing that scanner (I was going to suggest that you just replace it, but a quick google search reveals it's not your run of the mill consumer scanner). I'm not going to say that it can't be shared, but sharing scanners is not a feature of readyshare and you're likely to have major issues getting the Epson drivers to play nice. At one time Netgear offered a printserver (the PS121) and the v2 hardware actually allows for it to be used as a shared USB port - I'm not certain if the product is still on the market but I will warn you that getting it functional is not easy, and neither is keeping it functional - it works beautifully with printers, can be problematic with "all-in-ones" (printer/scanner/copier) and I've never tried it with a stand alone scanner. What I will tell you is that it's all about the driver software - if Epson has a universal driver that can drive your scanner, and also drive another model of network capable scanner, you may have some success - if not - it's going to be challenging.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 3
Acertified
Aspirant

Re: How to setup an older USB Scanner to the Router and Share???

Thanks for the reply.
Your right as it is not a regular consumer grade scanner and that is why I prefer it over anything newer that I have purchased. I was thinking about purchasing a Device Server but with as nice as the R7000 is, I figured there has to be a way to plug the scanner directly into the router and set it up as a Network scanner.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E