Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to switch off 2.4GHz band on R8000?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

How to switch off 2.4GHz band on R8000?

Hello,

How to switch off the 2.4GHz band on R8000? There are so many active radios in 2.4 band and the 5GHz band is almost empty. I tried to switch off "Enable Smart Connection" but this resulted to split the 5GHz in two networks with different names and no possibility to change back to unique name. Two different network names create problems at home. Additionally all my devices are ac compatible.

Thanx

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: How to switch off 2.4GHz band on R8000?

I reply my own question....

I'm tyred of Netgear rules and prescriptions, this can be only so, that only that way... the iPhone app can be used only if you register with Netgear....

No more!

I swithed the router, the new one is absolutely configurable, the WiFi speed is 40% up! It is a HUAWEI. 

Bye Netgear.

View solution in original post

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're using smart connect, you have to use all radios.

If you shut off smart connect, you can disable the 2.4ghz radio but end of with multiple ssid's. 

To disable the 2.4ghz, page 133 of the manual walks you through it. 

here's the manual location: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx

Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hello,

How to switch off the 2.4GHz band on R8000? There are so many active radios in 2.4 band and the 5GHz band is almost empty. I tried to switch off "Enable Smart Connection" but this resulted to split the 5GHz in two networks with different names and no possibility to change back to unique name. Two different network names create problems at home. Additionally all my devices are ac compatible.

Thanx

You can't have both ways. That is the 2 5Ghz bands (SSID's) be the same (even if you make them that way you could not tell which is which) unless you are using Smart Connect (which by the way is NOT). The 2.4Ghz can be crowded, but if you run a channel scanner like ACRYLIC (Google for it) you can possible tell what channel might be less used.

Me, I keep Smart Connect OFF, I found too many wrong bands (AC devices connecting at 300Mbps for instance), as NG's implementation is NOT dynamic and is LOAD BALANCING.

2 SSID's for the 5Ghz shouldn't be a problem? Just alert users which SSID to connect to... do you own SMART CONNECT and band balancing that way.

"Additionally all my devices are ac compatible."

OK, so in theory they should ALL connect to the 5Ghz, why do you care about the 2.4Ghz band?

By the way, turning OFF the SSID for the 2.4Ghz band may NOT turn off the signal, it would still go out. It is a 'security method' some use to stop people that do NOT know the name to connect. I don't think you can stop it, but to be safe, change the PASSWORD or SSID name if you turn that off.

Message 3 of 5
tadswana
Guide

nice response. was having same problem with smart connect, broadcasting all three networks now and just using the 2G and 5G-1. The 5G-2 works OK for other devices, but has problems with IOS sometimes and conflicts.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I reply my own question....

I'm tyred of Netgear rules and prescriptions, this can be only so, that only that way... the iPhone app can be used only if you register with Netgear....

No more!

I swithed the router, the new one is absolutely configurable, the WiFi speed is 40% up! It is a HUAWEI. 

Bye Netgear.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7