Highlighted
Aspirant

How to tftp update a Nighthawk R6900P/AC1900

I currently own a R6900P / AC1900 WiFi router purchased from Costco last year.  Unfortunately I noticed after my support entitlement ended that the 5GHz radio is dead.  This was confirmed a couple of ways:

• Visible from the router mangaemnt dashboard. The channel field shows non-numeric values (typically black diamonds with '?' in the middle).
  • Unable to view 5G APs from any device
  • Used WiFi Analyzer app to see what's visible and did not see 5G (out of the box, this had worked)

I've tried the following to recover:

• Reflash (including back to first available version of FW)
  • Factory reset through the management console

None of the above has helped recover the 5G radio.  I contacted support and they assured me this was fixable but would require a service contract ($89) or an inciden charge ($49).  I find this disappointing considering this stopped working via normal use.  The technician did confirm that if it couldn't be fixed remotely they would replace my unit since it's still under HW warranty.  

One nugget I learned was they were going to use tftp to reload the router and was going to try and do that myself. I found a couple of Netgear KBs with instructions; however, I can't seem to pop my router into the right mode.  I've done the power off/on, tried holding down reset, and ran Wireshark to see if I could find evidence of a tftp call back to my laptop which was hard wired with a static IP.  

Can someone confirm what method would work to tftp update the R6900P?  I've also seen reference to a USB to TTL cable and am wondering if that would be required.

Any other info or experience with a similar problem would be appreciated.  If you've seen this problem and did NOT recover the unit via tftp that may persuade me to gable.  However, for those prices I could almost buy a new router at Costco :-)

Thanks in advance!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to tftp update a Nighthawk R6900P/AC1900

Can't be that any fee is required to replace a broken Netgear router as long as the hardware warranty is still valid. Go to https://my.netgear.com/ -> mySupport and and either use the exiting open ticket, or use Contact Support again and ask for a replacement unit, RMA number and address.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion...here's my issue.

• Based on what I see online with others reporting similar issues this typically results in a HW replacement.
  • In order for me to get an RMA and treat as a HW issue they first have to attempt to resolve via FW update (ala tftp).
  • Should the FW update be successful I was told I'd need to purchase a service contract.  My preference would be to try the tftp update on my own and avoid the service charge.

That's why I'm interested in understanding:

1. How to load the R6900P via tftp
  2. If anyone else that has experienced this issue saw it resolve with this kind of FW update

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Amazing they ask you to do some tftp and don't provide any information how-to ... start here: How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

@madmike75 wrote:

I've also seen reference to a USB to TTL cable and am wondering if that would be required. 

No, it's a Netgear policy that a customer does not have to use the serial console pins on any device.

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Sage

> I've tried the following to recover:
>     Reflash (including back to first available version of FW)

> One nugget I learned was they were going to use tftp to reload the
> router and was going to try and do that myself.

If the normal firmware load procedure still works, why would the TFTP
scheme do any better?

> I found a couple of Netgear KBs with instructions; [...]

Thanks for those links.

> [...] ran Wireshark to see if I could find evidence of a tftp call
> back to my laptop which was hard wired with a static IP.

What evidence would you expect to find?  If the router runs a TFTP
server, then it would simply listen for a TFTP client to make a
connection.  "a static IP" is not a very detailed description of
anything.

> 1. How to load the R6900P via tftp

I'd generally follow the instructions in the Netgear KB article,
except that I'd use a command-line TFTP client instead of the
recommended special-purpose software.  Some details may be found here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1509025

> 2. If anyone else that has experienced this issue saw it resolve with
> this kind of FW update

Not I, but I can't see how a TFTP firmware load would be likely to be
better than an easy-way firmware load.

> o Visible from the router mangaemnt dashboard. The channel field shows
> non-numeric values (typically black diamonds with '?' in the middle).

And a reset and manual reconfiguration didn't change that?  Not a
good sign.

> [...] I'd need to purchase a service contract. [...]

How does the cost of a used router on Ebay compare with Genuine
Netgear Service?

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

@antinodewrote:

How does the cost of a used router on Ebay compare with Genuine
Netgear Service?

Sorry, this can't be an option. Netgear has to fulfil the customers rights and work the warranty claim and replace router if the alternate tftp firmware load proofs to be not workable. Don't spend (read: waste) to much time if the tftp process does not work either. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements