How to use a R8000 inline with my existing router that must be used for FIOS service ?

boeingme
Aspirant

How to use a R8000 inline with my existing router that must be used for FIOS service ?

Hi.  Here is my situation.  I have Frontier Fios TV and Internet service (100/100).  I must utilize their router to have TV service.  The WIFI speeds are pathetic coming from this router.  The installer said I should get the Netgear Nighthawk (R8000).  I have a large home on 1 acre and want to have enough WIFI range to cover it.  Anyhow......  My question is how would someone like me (dumb as a stump) be able to put a 2nd router "inline" with ths Actiontec Frontier Fios Router so I can have fast WIFI?

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to use a R8000 inline with my existing router that must be used for FIOS service ?

The most straightforward and dirt-simple thing to do is to install it as an Access Point (AP).  See page 130 in the manual.  But using it this way disables the router and firewall functionalities, in which case you may want to consider buying a range extender and save a bit of money.  Smiley Happy

Depending on the geometry and construction of your house, a single R8000 may not necessarily provide adequate coverage.  Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how it will perform.  You may or may not be better served with multiple range extenders.

If your house is wired with Ethernet (this is ideal) and you decide to opt for range extenders, be sure to buy ones that can operate as wired Access Points.  Most, but not all, of Netgear's range extenders are capable.  AFAIK, the exceptions are the EX6200 and the WN2500RP.  Check the documentation to be sure.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E