HowTo: Prevent wireless client from connecting

Aqua1ung
Aspirant

HowTo: Prevent wireless client from connecting

Guys, I am having some issues with one of my wireless clients (a smart TV dongle), and I need to prevent it from connecting to my R7000's wireless network. (For those who must ingest all the details, I am trying to force the dongle to connect to a different (and faster) AP, and the stupid thing doesn't allow me to prioritize the APs it connects to. Somehow it has developed a fondness for R7000's 2.4GHz band, and I cannot seem to be able to break this habit.) Is there a setting within R7000 that'll allow me to block the dongle from connecting to its wireless network? I tried blocking the dongle's MAC, but that does not prevent it from connecting to R7000's wireless AP. Anybody? This is driving me crazy!
Message 1 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: HowTo: Prevent wireless client from connecting

Just curious if you've tried turning off the R7000 wireless for a minute, and power-cycling the client. That should force it to log into the AP. Making the passwords different between the R7000 and the AP would also help, since that should force it to log into the AP, but you may not want to do that. Just a thought...
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Assuming you have another AP that you have not mentioned.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 8
Aqua1ung
Aspirant

RogerSC, I was thinking more along the lines of a wireless MAC filter (my old E4200, for example, does have something like that). I am guessing, then, that the R7000 doesn't have one, does it? Otherwise, push come to shove, I will end up changing the R7000 password, even though it'll certainly be a hassle, what with having to change it on every client and all. Thanks for the suggestion.
Message 4 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

If you want to do this via MAC address, yes, this can be done on the R7000. Just go to "Security" and block the access of the client on the R7000 by it's MAC address.

Specifically, "Advanced" -> "Security" -> "Access Control". You'll need to enable access control, and then you can block clients by MAC address there.
Message 5 of 8
Aqua1ung
Aspirant

That's what I said I did above, when I said that "I tried blocking the dongle's MAC, but that does not prevent it from connecting to R7000's wireless AP." Yes, the dongle still connects to R7000's wireless. That blocking is, unfortunately, not a genuine WiFi MAC address filter. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can hide the SSID and use mac filter for device that you only want to connect.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Aqua1ung,

Sorry, it worked for me when I used it. Don't know why it isn't working at your place.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E