Highlighted
Aspirant

Hp printer wifi communication issue

I keep having an issue with communication to my HP 6500A wifi printer.
is shows on line via the router but the router keeps dropping the communication.
Everytime I go to use it I get a communication error.
if I used the HP unility I can regain communication but is seems that once the printer goes to sleep the connection gets lost.
I have reserved the ip address with no change in performance?
Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Hp printer wifi communication issue

what router firmware version are you using?
Message 2 of 28
Highlighted
Virtuoso

try setup static IP on printer setting.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 28
Highlighted
Star

Setup Static IP, check the Wifi Signal Strength between Router and Printer.
Install the latest version of the HP Software Suit available http://www8.hp.com/de/de/hp-search/search-results.html?ajaxpage=1#/page=1&/cat=Support%20%26%20Drive...

Had the same problem with drops but on OSX 10.9 ...installing HP Package fixed it.
Message 4 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well I tried your suggestions ..none worked.
all other devices work fine.
when I ping the printer there appears to be a bottleneck or something.
sometimes I get 3ms then 3000ms or then it just times out.
very sporatic....
my companied IT staff member did test and said all thing point to issues with the router.
after talking to tech support on two separate times (not including the times I got disconnected) one person said perhaps the router is refective...the one today said it must be the printer..
Printer worked perfect before installing the R7000.
this should not be this hard...
ant other thoughts?
mo
Message 5 of 28
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Power polling issues common in wifi devices that goes to sleep. This behavior is same with computer specially in windows with sleep mode/standby mode.

Isn't there any setting the hp printer not to go sleep for time being ? And contact support via portal at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Even with the printer away..I am seeing communications..
I see this when I ping the printer while its awake.
the results are all over the place..

If I connect the printer (wired) ...no issues.

a wifi issue for sure....tech support no help
again the wifi works fine on my old dlink $40 wireless router.
This is a bug..
Message 7 of 28
Highlighted
Prodigy

I was having a dropped connection problem with my HP3015DN printer on a wired connection. I found out that the router was not renewing DHCP ip address reservations properly. An Android phone was spawning new IP reservations every time it left and re-entered the network and over writing the printers IP.

I turned of all network devices, including the phone, and rebooted the router. I brought the network devices on line one at a time and made Address reservations for ALL devices. I the set a static IP in my printers configuration that matched its reserved DHCP IP address.

Everything has been working fine since I did this. So it may be another device on your network grabbing your printers assigned IP and causing a conflict. DHCP is broken until NETGEAR fixes the DHCP IP renewal routine.
Message 8 of 28
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Address reservation - IP specify within DHCP range of the router
Static IP- IP specify outside of DHCP range of the router

When you mix together and address reservation fail and you have static IP that within DHCP range it will causes other devices when other other devices is set for DHCP Client

You only use one the other and for permanent devices usually static IP and set outside the DHCP range then put IP info with label maker is the most reliable the address reservation. Specially in home end router , address reservation seems to be very flaky
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 28
Highlighted
Prodigy

If any of you decide to setup a static IP address outside the 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.254 range you should set your subnet mask to a value other than 255.255.255.0. If you do not the router will route out to the internet port and cause lag in your connection.

Go to the router web page Advanced--Setup--LAN Setup and change the IP Subnet Mask to something other than 255.255.255.0 You could try 255.255.0.0 This would allow routing of all subnets in the range of 192.168.1.x~192.168.254.x in the local LAN without routing out the internet port.

Powering up the HP printer, letting it get a DHCP assigned IP address, making an IP reservation in the router for that IP address and manually setting this address as static in the printer has worked for me so far. But you can setup a static IP address of let's say 192.168.2.2 in your printer and change the subnet mask. This should work.

BUT you should make IP reservations for all your DHCP IP addresses so that your devices do not overwrite each others IP address. The DHCP renewal code is broken and sophisticated devices will drop off the network when they can not renew their DHCP IP addresses. They need static IP addresses. Less sophisticated devices will drop off the network when their IP reservations are reused and cause IP conflicts thus dropping them off the network.
Message 10 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Still can't get this to work.
I just ended connecting it to a port on the router for now.
This works fine.
Just a bandaid fix until they take care of the DHCP bug.

The more I use this router the more I'm forced to physically connect devices..luckily I have spare switches kicking around..
..lol
Message 11 of 28
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Never seem to have issues with any devices are outside of DHCP range and setup static IP on all devices.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 28
Highlighted
Prodigy

MOMENTM

Have you tried using the Genie application to look at the WiFi channel you are using? These routers seem to default to channel 1 and there are usually several other routers using that channel. This can cause interference with your signal.

I was getting poor throughput until I used the Genie app and found 6 other routers using channel 1. I found channel 5 to be unused and changed my router from AUTO to channel 5. This did not take effect until I rebooted the router. I now get great throughput.

Try it and see if it helps.
Message 13 of 28
Highlighted

I am seeing issues connecting to a HP 6500a as well.

I have tried using the printer on wifi and ethernet.

I have tried having the router assign a IP address via DHCP.

I have tried giving the router a fixed IP address via the printers built in menu (192.168.125) DCHP I have setup to only give IPs in the range (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.250). No conflicting IPs are present.

All my devices can see the printer (I can even browse to the printers built in web server, which seems slow but it does work)

However printing is fails 90% of the time, HP driver says it cannot communicate with the printer.

Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15
Message 14 of 28
Highlighted

BTW if I hook up the printer using a USB cable it works fine.
Message 15 of 28
Highlighted

MOMENTM wrote:

when I ping the printer there appears to be a bottleneck or something.
sometimes I get 3ms then 3000ms or then it just times out.

I just tested and I see the same exact thing. Very low pings <3ms and then packets lost...
Message 16 of 28
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have tried giving the router a fixed IP address via the printers built in menu (192.1681.125) DCHP I have setup to only give IPs in the range (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.250). No conflicting IPs are present.

Not sure how you give IP to a printer a fixed IP.. I think just term you used.

If you DHCP is 192.168.1.100~250 then any IP from 192.168.1.1~99 , 192.168.1.251~254 can be use for your pinter's TCP/IP IPv4 setting and you should be okSmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 28
Highlighted

The printer has a menu option that allows either the IP to be assigned via DCHP or fixed at a given value. I fixed it at 192.168.1.25 on the printer, I then set the DCHP server on the router to only assign values from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.250.
Message 18 of 28
Highlighted
Novice

I have an Epsom workforce 610 that won't pick up the wifi. It worked fine with my cheap modem/router. This is what my printer screen says..
(I have no clue what these numbers mean)

Connection: WLAN disconnected
Obtain IP address: Auto
IP address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Help pleaseeeee:confused:
Message 19 of 28
Highlighted

Suggestion from Netgear support was:

"Based on the information that you have provided, please downgrade the firmware to Version 1.0.2.164 to check if this is caused by a corrupted firmware. "

I'll let you all know if it works.
Message 20 of 28
Highlighted
Novice

I have the same problem with my HP 6510 wireless printer not staying connected. All I have to do is reboot the router and it will reconnect. I am using the latest firmware.
Message 21 of 28
Highlighted

It didn't work.
Message 22 of 28
Highlighted
Luminary

I have an HP 6700 Premium ... printer works great. I just pinged it 100 times. The results: Min = 2ms, Max = 5ms, Ave = 2ms I am using firmware version .194. Question ... instead of rebooting the router ... have you tried restarting the printer? Some wireless devices require that the SSID NOT be hidden. Make sure your SSID is NOT hidden too.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 23 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject of printers. If your printer is near your router or you can otherwise connect it by ethernet you will probably eliminate any wireless printer headaches. Once you attach a printer via ethernet to a wireless router you have a de facto wireless printer. The devices on the net work can access it just the same. I am using my inkjet printer completely wireless just because that is how I set it up initially. When I added a laser many reviewers commented on what a pain it was to set up the wireless so I hooked it up by ethernet. My lap sees both of them exactly the same. I have both set up as Google Cloud Printers so I can print to both with my tablet and phone. It is great to be able to network a printer wirelessly if you cannot locate it near the router, but otherwise ethernet is simpler and less prone to losing connection. FWIW
Message 24 of 28
Highlighted

It is connected via ethernet.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements