Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I bought a R7000 with non-removable antennas?!?

Smegtrek
Aspirant

I bought a R7000 with non-removable antennas?!?

OK, I bought a used R7000 from eBay and not getting the coverage I was hoping for so, I was thinking of purchasing some larger antennas for it, but when I looked at the back of router I was shocked to find the antennas on my R7000 are not removable?!? Am I crazy, or does a model with unremovable antennas exist? Did I get a fake? The firmware updated fine and labels look all correct, and the Netgear app works with it. It came shipped with the antennas connected which I found odd, but now I go to remove them, and the part that should be the part you turn is smooth and looks to be part of the plastic of back of the case. Image attached is a bit blurry, but you'll see. Is this just a weird version that was sold one time? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Smegtrek
Aspirant

See the following website

https://fccid.io/PY318300420/Internal-Photos/Internal-photos-4107460

The latest version of the R7000 has non-removeable antennas. I would guess this is the cut production cost. Wish I would have known this before I purchased.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies

@Smegtrek wrote:

...when I looked at the back of router I was shocked to find the antennas on my R7000 are not removable?!? Am I crazy, or does a model with unremovable antennas exist? Did I get a fake? 

Possibly. Or maybe a customised version fo an ISP.

The manual includes instructions on how to attach the antennas.

There is support material for the R7000, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Should be reversible.

Message 2 of 9
Smegtrek
Aspirant

Thanks for the response,

Please take a look at the screenshot attached. There is no way to remove the antennas. I did not think of an ISP custom version until you mentioned it, but it is possible. I would like to get someone to confirm. The seller had 12 for sale so that would make sense. I have a Moca access point that I bought last year, which turned out was customized for Time Warner Cable, so that has happened to me before. 
As far as I can tell, the serial number is legit as I get a message that it is already registered to an account. Warranty status shows that this was first registered around June of this year (2019) so it is a relatively new R7000. It's past the 90-day warranty but still showing the one-year hardware.
If anyone else can shed light on what I got, please do so.

The eBay seller was unhelpful and wanted me to pay a restocking fee to return it, so I am stuck with it. I gave him his first negative review (out of 250) which spoiled his 100% rating; oh well was not happy to do that, but he was not cooperative. 

Message 3 of 9

@Smegtrek wrote:

Please take a look at the screenshot attached. There is no way to remove the antennas.

I cannot see the picture in enough detail to see what you can do. Not enough detail.

However, I do have an R7000P lying around and the fitting looks very similar. The difference is that the fitting where the antenna goes into the router is ridged to make it easy to grip and rotate the screw-in bit.

I assume that you have tried a gentle twist on the bit that screws into the router.

Message 4 of 9
Smegtrek
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Smegtrek wrote:

Please take a look at the screenshot attached. There is no way to remove the antennas.

I cannot see the picture in enough detail to see what you can do. Not enough detail.

However, I do have an R7000P lying around and the fitting looks very similar. The difference is that the fitting where the antenna goes into the router is ridged to make it easy to grip and rotate the screw-in bit.

I assume that you have tried a gentle twist on the bit that screws into the router.

Yes I did try twisting but upon closer inspection I found the fitting on mine is not a fitting at all, it is plastic and actually part of the back of the router itself, hence it's built in. 

Message 5 of 9
Smegtrek
Aspirant

Look at "screenshot_8" attached to my first reply, not the one attached to my original post.

Message 6 of 9

@Smegtrek wrote:

Look at "screenshot_8" attached to my first reply, not the one attached to my original post.

That's the one I looked at.

Screenshot_8

On the R7000P I have, there is a ridged "barrel" that screws into the router. It looks like you have a recessed socket that is a part of the router's casing. The bit that unscrews on the R7000P would go into that.

The manual for the R7000 suggests that an antenna for that should also have a ridged barrel.

Message 7 of 9
Smegtrek
Aspirant

See the following website

https://fccid.io/PY318300420/Internal-Photos/Internal-photos-4107460

The latest version of the R7000 has non-removeable antennas. I would guess this is the cut production cost. Wish I would have known this before I purchased.

Message 8 of 9

Bummer. The manual is clearly misleading and out of date..

I'd send it back if I could. But the idea that better antennae might beef up these things may be optimistic.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7