Highlighted
Tutor

I can't identify MAC address 30:F7:72:64:0E:39

My Netgear genie network map shows a device on my home R7000 Nighthawk network having MAC address 30:F7:72:64:0E:39. Google doesn't find that address.

What could it be? What should I do about it?

Edit: My firmware is v1.0.9.12

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Guru

Re: I can't identify MAC address 30:F7:72:64:0E:39

You can use a MAC OUI lookup site to find the company that the MAC address is registered to. In this case, 30:F7:72:64:0E:39 is registered to Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd. It could be a web cam?
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

I checked several lookup sites and couldn't identify Han Hoi.

I turned off my Brother MFC8860 printer that is connected to the router by USB but that made no difference.

If it is a computer component it is in the one I am using because I turned off the others.

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

I use Wireshark's lookup tool:
https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

Anyway, the Wi-Fi adapter on my Lenovo is registered by Hon Hai.
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

I entered 30:F7:72:64:0E:39

in the box below "OUI search" on the page:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

The result is 30:F7:72 HonHaiPr Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.

But that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is to know whether the device is mine or an interloper -- which means to know something about the device. At least its type.

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Master

There should be a few ways to figure that out?

If you use your Browser open the router (Genie) and look at Attached Devices. Check I the IP Address. That should give you a clue which device it is?

Most devices will somehow show the MAC Address... maybe a label on the device or some setting within it.

If on a Windows PC, run IPCONFIG /ALL from a CMD prompt and look at the Physical Address, that would be the MAC Address for that PC.

Other might need you to look in the app that controls it and the settings. For instance I have an Amazon Echo and FireTV Stick. The iPad app for Amazon Alexa will show both of these devices under settings. Open each device and scroll down and you'll see the MAC address.

Of course, you could do the 'deny access' trick using Access Control. Select the MAC Address and not allow access, you should be able to determine what isn't working if it is yours. However that leads to the other question, if not yours, who owns it and how do they have access???

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

I login to the R7000 with Firefox and I can maneuver around except that the "Attached Devices" button doesn't bring up a page. Some setting must be blocking it.

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Master

Try another browser, or clean the CACHE in FF... might help.

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

I accessed "Attached Devices" by switching to a Chrome browser. However the device with that MAC address has two dashes in the name field. It has no additional information.

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

You might try running a port scan against the IP address of the
mystery device.  If it responds to anything, then you might get a clue
from what.

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Master

@StanH wrote:

I accessed "Attached Devices" by switching to a Chrome browser. However the device with that MAC address has two dashes in the name field. It has no additional information.

That indicates that it had no 'device name'. PC's have a device name in the properties of the 'This PC' for instance. It would be the 'computer name'. Apple devices usually that it set as well. Amazon devices do NOT, at least my Echo and FireTV don't and I had to select the device and EDIT it to add a name so I could identify it.

Since it had no name then it probably is some device that doesn't support sending the name and that means you can probably rule out PC's and Apple devices.

More than likely it would then be a camera, Amazon device, SmartTV, or a phone. In my case, the SmartTV only shows when it is on though.

Since you can now get to ATTACHED DEVICES I'd click on ACCESS CONTROL. That page it seems (to me) doesn't pick up the names on the ATTACHED DEVICES page and I found my ECHO device didn't have a name there and the FireTV had a different name, so maybe the name will appear on that page or you'd see even more without a name (this could be a problem with the latest flash though). On the ACCESS CONTROL page you CAN BLOCK that device. This will stop it from being on the LAN/NETWORK. Hopefully you'll figure out what device it is then. Then you can re-enable it and EDIT the name.

Could it be someone elses device connected to your LAN? Assuming you've got the proper protection set, more than likely not. However if someone had access to your router they would have been able to see your PASSPHRASE for the SSID and then connect or use WPS to connect. However it is possible, especially if you are using the defaults UID and PW for the router. Still, that device has to be within range of the router to connect. Depending on what is between the router and the device, probably less than 150FT.

Another thing you could try, turn OFF all devices in your home other than the wired PC and see what is then connected to the router on the ATTACHED DEVICES page. May have to press REFRESH to make sure it reads what is on. If it is gone, turn devices back on one by one. When it appears you'll know which one by checking after each is turned on.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements