I have disabled the DHCP setting and not now connecting to the internet

Coopindubs
Follower

I have disabled the DHCP setting and not now connecting to the internet

I originally set up a DNS on my router and tried removing it, but disabled the DHCP setting instead and now we cannot get any internet over a WiFi signal.

I have tried resetting, but you cannot perform a factory reset on this model.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: I have disabled the DHCP setting and not now connecting to the internet

Greetings,

You can reset an R7000. 

Here are two  ways:

Reset button on back - need a toothpick or paper clip

Erase button in the GUI - Advanced tab > Administration > Back Up Settings [ERASE]

Either of these will put the router back to a factory state running whatever FW it had loaded before the setting changes were made.

For reference, changing DNS settings on Advanced tab > Set Up > Internet Set Up page does not change your DHCP settings on Advanced tab > Set Up> LAN Set Up page 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@Coopindubs wrote:
I originally set up a DNS on my router and tried removing it, but disabled the DHCP setting instead and now we cannot get any internet over a WiFi signal.

I have tried resetting, but you cannot perform a factory reset on this model.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Do you mean the IP Address, not the DHCP setting? Just set it to 'Get Dynamically from ISP' and click on apply.

The model does do Factory Reset... there is a depressed button in the back, hold it in for 30 seconds... and also on the Advanced Tab at the top, Administration, Backup Settings on the left is an ERASE button... does the same thing.

'Factory Settings' might be a misnomer. It will NOT restore the firmware first shipped with, but it WILL reset ALL settings to the factory shipped state.

Message 3 of 4
amrobx
Guide

You may need to clarify where you actually disabled DHCP. If on the machine, just change it back. If on the router, set a static IP and DNS on the laptop or device you are using, then you'll be able to connect to the router again and re-enable DHCP. The IP can be anything on the subnet your network was originally setup on--i.e. 192.168.1.x, with "x" being the variable you'd change to a number between 2 and 254. The DNS will likely be your router IP, which will be the default 192.168.1.1, unless you've changed it. Subnet mask will typically be 255.255.255.0.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E