I have purchased 2 Nighthawk x6 R8000 Routers and 2.4 band just stops working

CherylOlivia
Aspirant

I have purchased 2 Nighthawk x6 R8000 Routers and 2.4 band just stops working

Someone please HELP, I had my first Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 for 3 years, the 2.4 band stopped working, if I reset it, it works for a few days and then nothing.  I can pick it up on my devices but it states wrong password, nothing connects auto when this happens, I have to reset, again it works for a few days then stops.  I called support troubleshot for days, factory reset, update firmware, you name it.  They said it was hardware.  I believe it happened after the previous firmware update from from February.    Since support said it was bad hardware and 3 years old, I got a new one, same model, same exact problem.  Anyone can you help.  Support is terrible, hold times are over an hour if you  are lucky, and the support reps I spoke too have no idea what I am talking about.  Please help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: I have purchased 2 Nighthawk x6 R8000 Routers and 2.4 band just stops working

The R8000 line is a disaster in terms of firmware and stability. Many people complain here about it and some have returned their devices as they don't want to deal with its issues or can't fix it

My advise is to, if you still can, return both R8000s and grab yourself an R7800 (which is also a QCA-based device instead of Broadcom). The chances of NETGEAR fixing the more severe issues of the R8000 firmware, are not that good and will take them probably a full year if not longer seeing how often they release new firmware

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.89SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 3
myersw
Master

Re: I have purchased 2 Nighthawk x6 R8000 Routers and 2.4 band just stops working

@microchip8 wrote:

The R8000 line is a disaster in terms of firmware and stability. Many people complain here about it and some have returned their devices as they don't want to deal with its issues or can't fix it

My advise is to, if you still can, return both R8000s and grab yourself an R7800 (which is also a QCA-based device instead of Broadcom). The chances of NETGEAR fixing the more severe issues of the R8000 firmware, are not that good and will take them probably a full year if not longer seeing how often they release new firmware

Excellent advice @microchip8

One thing I would add is do not get r8000p thinking it is newer so should be ok. Same firmware issues as r8000. The r7800 runs well for me and friends. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E