I love my NightHawk routers but the USB drive option is terrible.

LordCaine
Aspirant

I love my NightHawk routers but the USB drive option is terrible.

Dear Netgear,

This is not a rant and I'm NOT looking for support.  I'm giving you this as a suggestion to improve your product.  I absolutely love BOTH of my nighthawk routers.  I love them so much I bought one for my brother-in-law and now he loves them too.

BUT!

The USB support for  external hardrives is absolutely terrible.  For whatever reason my drive enclosures keep dying on me.  Every time this happens I need to add my external drive back into my nighthawk and it is always a major pain in the neck.  It has gotten so bad I am giving up hanging a drive off of this router.  This is NOT just my experience.  Google this issue and you will find dozens of people running into the same problems.

Here is what is wrong with your external drive support from a user's standpoint:

1) I  should be able to format the drive from the router so I don't have to worry about what kind of partition/filesystem you expect.

2) I need feedback from the GUI that it is being formated.

3) I need error messages and logs so that when it doesn't work I can figure out why it won't connect.

4) Whenever I stick the same drive in windows I have all of the  tools listed above and I can get it to work.  With your  OS and system I can only get it to work after wasting hours of my time and as  I stated above I've given up entirely.  YOu need to make external drive attachment as seamless as every other operating system out there.

Regards,

Arthur

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: I love my NightHawk routers but the USB drive option is terrible.

Except that its not like "every other operating system out there". Its a router OS that some USB devices work with if formated properly. 

If you want all those options, check into getting an actual NAS or even a small server. 

I'd agree that the usb support isn't the greatest. Its why I built a server to handle my needs/desires in networks attached storage. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 4
LordCaine
Aspirant

I  really wasn't looking for anyone else's opinion.  As I stated above these were suggestions to Netgear to improve their product. 

I've already done the freenas thing and it was too expensive for various reasons.

If netgear is going to provide a service out of their hardware then the should do it in a supportable friendly fashion.

You basically are making excuses for them because, "Its a router OS that some USB devices work".  That is a garbage answer and not based on any facts that I can discern.  I'm guessing they're running a Linux varient and of course they can provide this support.

Please don't respond I'm not interested in your opinion.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you're making a suggestion then use the idea's exchange forum and not the community support forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E