JCoffroth
Novice

IP Camera issue

I’m trying with little success to set up a Foscam IP Camera to see through my new R7500 Nighthawk.
It works fine on the LAN but not outside the local network (no web access)
(I’m replacing a D-Link DIR-655 that the camera was working fine with for the last few years)
In the R7500 I set up Port Forwarding to port 888 for both internal & external ports.
NAT Filtering is set to “Open” and Using “CanYouSeeMe.org” port 888 is open
Address Reservation is set for the camera in the R7500
Router Firmware Version: V1.0.0.76
Any advice will be appreciated.
Jim C
Message 1 of 10
JCoffroth
Novice

Re: IP Camera issue

Issue resolved.
Message 2 of 10
Paulrwselby
Aspirant

Hi Jim, I have replaced a Draytek 2830 router with the R7500 and I am having an identical problem to yours above. I have a fixed IP address from my ISP and the cameras all have fixed IP. I have opened the ports internal and external exactly as the Draytek was but still cannot access Foscams from outside my network. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul
Message 3 of 10
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Paul, are you attempting to access the wan side of your router from within (LAN) for network, or by some other remote connection? Many Netgear home grade routers do not support Loopback which is what would be used in such a case, though I'm not sure if the R7500 supports Loopback or not.
Message 4 of 10
JCoffroth
Novice

Paul,
My glitch was with my DSL modem. I had to reconfigure the Pass through for the R7500. I had already enabled NAT and defined a custom service in the modem, but I had the reconfigure the pass through too.
I could see my port using “CanYouSeeMe.org”, but the camera did not come online until I figured out the modem deal....
Jim
Odd deal now is that this morning the camera had a different IP, though I had it on a reserved address.
Message 5 of 10
Paulrwselby
Aspirant

Mars,
Mars Mug wrote:
Paul, are you attempting to access the wan side of your router from within (LAN) for network, or by some other remote connection? Many Netgear home grade routers do not support Loopback which is what would be used in such a case, though I'm not sure if the R7500 supports Loopback or not.

Thanks for the response, I am not accessing the WAN side from the local network. I am using an app on the iPad to access the Foscam cameras on my network. The app worked well with the old draytek router/modem and the same ports are opened on the R7500. I do not think I need loopback to do this?

Jim,

Thanks also for your response. I am using a Draytek Vigour 120 modem with a PPPoE connection to the R7500. I am not sure about the pass through setup so that is something I may need to do. Sounds like it is get the Vigour 120 manual out time.

I will report back my findings.
Paul
Message 6 of 10
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Paulrwselby wrote:
Thanks for the response, I am not accessing the WAN side from the local network. I am using an app on the iPad to access the Foscam cameras on my network. The app worked well with the old draytek router/modem and the same ports are opened on the R7500. I do not think I need loopback to do this?

It depends on how that App is configured. If you set it with the local IP address then Loopback would not apply, but if it’s configured with something like a DDNS URL + port number then that would most likely need loopback.

I have a Draytek router as my Internet gateway and I know that it supports Loopback.

I guess that you can access your cameras from a browser, if so try both options, first using the private IPSmiley Tongueort e.g. http://192.168.15:1234 then try the same thing using the WAN side URL e.g. http://myhome.dns.org:1234, or if you don’t use a DDNS service try using your public IP address http://212.159.xxx.yyy:12345. If they all work then the R7500 does support Loopback.

I looked at the Draytek Vigor 120 manual, and it looks to me like you need to confirm that it is set to Bridged Mode. If not then everything I posted above would be affected by that. So check for Bridged Mode, set it if not already set, if you do need to set it then check your App afterwards, if it still does not work then check to see if the R7500 supports loopback (I have a sneaky suspicion that it does).
Message 7 of 10
Paulrwselby
Aspirant

Mars,
Sorry for the delay replying but I think I have resolved the problem with your help.
The reason the app did not work was my fault as I was using it on local wiFi which is effectively local on my network. I turned off wiFi on the iPad and used the cellular and that worked fine (ie external network access). It would appear from this that loopback is not enabled on the R7500 as I could not access it going through the WAN to my static IP address.

However, the app (uFoscan) has a facility called 'local network' where you can put in the local IP and port and this does in fact work well. I did not use it before as loopback was obviously enabled on the previous Draytek I was using.

So all is working well now. Thank you very much for your help in resolving this issue.

Paul
Message 8 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Paul, Thanks for the reply, it’s interesting that the R7500 does not appear to support loopback, I believe the R7000 does, though apart from the similar model number they are not the same router. I will raise this with Netgear. (as you can see I’m now using a new User ID). For what it’s worth, I have a router that does support loopback, yet for a variety of reasons I still use internal addresses for accessing some of my network devices (largely because I use VPN in preference to remote access, particularly with my IP cameras). Regards, Andy
Paulrwselby
Aspirant

Andy,
It certainly does appear that the R7500 does not support loopback, unless I am missing something!
It is fortunate the app on the iPad gets around this for me. Most of my other requirements are hosted off site, rather than on the local network so it is not normally a problem.
I like the R7500 but it is nowhere near as configurable as the Draytek Vigor 2830, although some things are easier and more graphical on the Netgear.

I shall be interested in the definitive answer as to whether loopback is available on the R7500.

Thanks,
Paul
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements