Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP Passthrough with AT&& Gigapower Pace 5268 to Netgear AC1900 r7000

SamLabrador
Aspirant

IP Passthrough with AT&& Gigapower Pace 5268 to Netgear AC1900 r7000

AT&T UVERSE gigapower has a recommended way to "pass through" IP using what they describe as "dmz plus". There is frighteningly little one can manipulate on the AT&T Pace device. "The device that you would like to be placed in DMZplus must be connected directly to the gateway and configured to obtain an IP address through DHCP," according to the instructions.

There are some bad threads which confuse the basic issue.

How should a netgear router be configured for this new IP pass though?

The Netgear r7000 has a knowledge base article on dmz which does not even mention IP Pass through.

The AT&T Pace 5268 configuires out of the box at 192.168.1.1-254.

I set my r7000 to 192.168.10.1-254 to avoid the most obvious conflicts.

r7000 default dmz server.PNG

Should the "Default DMZ server" be checked on the r7000? If so, whose firewall is in effect? The Pace firewall?

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
SamLabrador
Aspirant

Re: IP Passthrough with AT&& Gigapower Pace 5268 to Netgear AC1900 r7000

This answer applies to any router.

AT&T tech support gives out faulty/incomplete information about IP Passthrough using the PACE 5268.

To use "IP Passthrough" :

If you leave the Pace 5268 with its default setting using 192.168.0.x. with a subnet mask of 255.x.x.x. you must switch your own router to 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x for "IP Passthrough" to work with your router. Keep the subnet mask the same.

I do not know know technically why the IP address conflict occurs because AT&T does not publish a single technical document on "IP Passthrough" as of this posting. But AT&T numerous times told me it was okay to use 192.168.10.X for my router. I even paid them "extra" for this faulty, wrong, incorrect technical support. They are just reading from scripts. And their go to answer is to blame "the router."

I just switched my router to the other Private IP adress ranges out of desperation at having tried everything else. We should all refuse to hand our personal data transfer over to an AT&T device about which there is little or no information -- and through which new Trump adminstration FCC will make it legal for AT&T to sell any information passing through that PACE 5268.

I would love it if an engineer would weigh in on how/why this conflict is created. The drop in bandwidth is extemely odd.

View solution in original post

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R6900v2|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You don't need to touch the DMZ setting on the R7000.  The DMZPlus setting is on the Pace.  Point it at the R7000.  You may have to reboot the Pace for the DMZPlus setting to take effect.

Once, DMZPlus is working, the firewall duties will be sorta shared between the Pace.  The Pace will get first dibs at any traffic that it wants to keep for itself or pass onto other devices connected to it.  Any other traffic that it would normally drop will be sent to the R7000 un-NAT-ed.  Effectively, your R7000 is the main firewall for devices behind it.

What's kinda cool about this setup is that you can still use the Pace as a router.  You can put connect less secure devices, such as IP cameras and other IoT devices, to it.  You can even use the Pace's Wi-Fi as a dedicated guest network.  Traffic from those devices will be isolated from the R7000.

Message 2 of 9
SamLabrador
Aspirant

Thanks for your general answer.

the firewall duties will be sorta shared between the Pace.  The Pace will get first dibs at any traffic that it wants to keep for itself or pass onto other devices connected to it.  Any other traffic that it would normally drop will be sent to the R7000 un-NAT-ed.  Effectively, your R7000 is the main firewall for devices behind it.

We are experiencing radical loss in bandwidth, especially on upload, after setting up IP Passthrough DMz Plus. And AT&T tech support is blaming our router settings.

speedtest ookla IP passthrough AT&T DMZ plus to router.PNG

I am wondering about r7000 firewall, DHCP settings, subnets, or any of the other setting which could produce NAT / PAT errors.

You can put connect less secure devices, such as IP cameras and other IoT devices, to it.  You can even use the Pace's Wi-Fi as a dedicated guest network.  Traffic from those devices will be isolated from the R7000.

IOT devices, especially cameras are vulnerable to hacks.

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

@SamLabrador wrote:

the firewall duties will be sorta shared between the Pace.  The Pace will get first dibs at any traffic that it wants to keep for itself or pass onto other devices connected to it.  Any other traffic that it would normally drop will be sent to the R7000 un-NAT-ed.  Effectively, your R7000 is the main firewall for devices behind it.

We are experiencing radical loss in bandwidth, especially on upload, after setting up IP Passthrough DMz Plus. And AT&T tech support is blaming our router settings.

I am wondering about r7000 firewall, DHCP settings, subnets, or any of the other setting which could produce NAT / PAT errors.

You should try 1 or 2 other speed tests (e.g. speedtest.net, att.com/speedtestdslreports.com/speedtest).  This may help determine whether the one you used is congested.

Make sure that you aren't legitimately using that "lost" bandwidth.  Perhaps a device is backing up to the cloud?  There's a statistics page on the R7000 on the Advanced home page.  It displays average bandwidth consumed since the router was boote, so it can look misleadingly low.  You'll want to reset the statistics counter to get something that approximates current usage.  

You may also consider doing a factory reset.  Then do a minimal setup (i.e. Wi-Fi and basic LAN and WAN settings).  Don't turn on any fancy features, like QoS (you don't need on a high speed link like yours), keyword filtering, service blocking, MAC address filtering.  These will also slow down the router, although not to the extent that you have seen.

IOT devices, especially cameras are vulnerable to hacks.

All the more reason to put them on an isolated network.

Message 4 of 9
SamLabrador
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

@SamLabrador wrote:

You should try 1 or 2 other speed tests (e.g. speedtest.net, att.com/speedtestdslreports.com/speedtest).  This may help determine whether the one you used is congested.

Make sure that you aren't legitimately using that "lost" bandwidth.  Perhaps a device is backing up to the cloud?  There's a statistics page on the R7000 on the Advanced home page.  It displays average bandwidth consumed since the router was boote, so it can look misleadingly low.  You'll want to reset the statistics counter to get something that approximates current usage.  

You may also consider doing a factory reset.  Then do a minimal setup (i.e. Wi-Fi and basic LAN and WAN settings).  Don't turn on any fancy features, like QoS (you don't need on a high speed link like yours), keyword filtering, service blocking, MAC address filtering.  These will also slow down the router, although not to the extent that you have seen.

Picture is of speedtest.net. There is exactly one PC connected to the r7000, the PC doing the speed test using a Gigabit ethernet card and Cat6 cable. There is no QOS, no cameras running, nothing beyond the PC.

Plugging the PC directly into att&t a Pace 5268 port shows uploads exceeding 700mbps.

I renew my begging for any possible technical explanation.

Message 5 of 9
BARTZ13
Aspirant

Just got gigapower installed, with a Pace 5268, and i have it DMZ+ to my pfsense box, and get sevre bottlenecking

If I go straight off the Pace, it's unthrottled. Very odd.

Message 6 of 9
SamLabrador
Aspirant

This answer applies to any router.

AT&T tech support gives out faulty/incomplete information about IP Passthrough using the PACE 5268.

To use "IP Passthrough" :

If you leave the Pace 5268 with its default setting using 192.168.0.x. with a subnet mask of 255.x.x.x. you must switch your own router to 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x for "IP Passthrough" to work with your router. Keep the subnet mask the same.

I do not know know technically why the IP address conflict occurs because AT&T does not publish a single technical document on "IP Passthrough" as of this posting. But AT&T numerous times told me it was okay to use 192.168.10.X for my router. I even paid them "extra" for this faulty, wrong, incorrect technical support. They are just reading from scripts. And their go to answer is to blame "the router."

I just switched my router to the other Private IP adress ranges out of desperation at having tried everything else. We should all refuse to hand our personal data transfer over to an AT&T device about which there is little or no information -- and through which new Trump adminstration FCC will make it legal for AT&T to sell any information passing through that PACE 5268.

I would love it if an engineer would weigh in on how/why this conflict is created. The drop in bandwidth is extemely odd.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R6900v2|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9
spdsk8race
Apprentice

i had the same issues with mine a while back, after tinkering with it, i have been able to get 900+ up and download. 

Couple questions about your 5268 and netgear:

What version/software is 5268 on? should appear on the broadband page.

do you show ipv6 on or off? if its on does it show 6rd, or duel stack?

have you adjusted any of the firewall advanced configuration? 

What firmware is on your netgear?

Is qos enabled or disabled?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
spdsk8race
Apprentice

for reference this is what  i 'm getting  using gigapower and the r7000.for reference this is what i 'm getting using gigapower and the r7000.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7