IPTV

EDzhang
Follower

IPTV

Hi,

My ISP in Singapore, Starhub, provides Internet and IPTV via two different ports of the Optical Network Terminal ("ONT"). See diagram below for existing set-up and proposed set-up. Port 1 of the ONT carries Internet traffic, whilst Port 2 of the ONT carries IPTV traffic with VLAN ID of 1091.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a wireless bridge to carry the IPTV traffic (i.e. no need to utilize structure cabling and rely on wifi instead)? See below for proposed set-up.

Understand that some of the Netgear routers are able to allow VLAN Group Tagging over both Ethernet Ports and Wifi Ports. The questions I have relate to router settings:

1) For Router A, is VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) over the Wifi Port sufficient for Router A to carry the IPTV Traffic it receives from the WAN port over the wifi bridge? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router A?

2) For Router B, is any VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) required? I’m assuming Port 1 has to be tagged, but does the Wifi Port on Router B also have to be tagged? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router B?

3) Can Router B be replaced with a simple Wireless Access Point (i.e. with DHCP disabled, NAT disabled etc)?

4) Finally, if the proposed setup is feasible, which Netgear models would be best suited for above scenario (i.e. most economical)?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: IPTV

I know the R7800 support wireless bridge mode. Not sure of what other models support wireless bridge mode. Possible the R8000 and R9000 does. The newer RAX routers may support wireless bridge mode as well. You would have to look at the user manuals to see if wireless bridge mode is supported on those models. Orbi does not support wireless bridge mode. 

The R7800 also supports 160Mhz on 5Ghz which if you had two of these in close distance, you could take advantage of getting 1733Mb connection rates between the two. Like having a bigger pipe to get data thru. Normal connection rates on 5Ghz AC is 1300Mb.

I would post here for additional forum help and information:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck. 

@EDzhang wrote:

Hi,

My ISP in Singapore, Starhub, provides Internet and IPTV via two different ports of the Optical Network Terminal ("ONT"). See diagram below for existing set-up and proposed set-up. Port 1 of the ONT carries Internet traffic, whilst Port 2 of the ONT carries IPTV traffic with VLAN ID of 1091.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a wireless bridge to carry the IPTV traffic (i.e. no need to utilize structure cabling and rely on wifi instead)? See below for proposed set-up.

Understand that some of the Netgear routers are able to allow VLAN Group Tagging over both Ethernet Ports and Wifi Ports. The questions I have relate to router settings:

1) For Router A, is VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) over the Wifi Port sufficient for Router A to carry the IPTV Traffic it receives from the WAN port over the wifi bridge? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router A?

2) For Router B, is any VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) required? I’m assuming Port 1 has to be tagged, but does the Wifi Port on Router B also have to be tagged? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router B?

3) Can Router B be replaced with a simple Wireless Access Point (i.e. with DHCP disabled, NAT disabled etc)?

4) Finally, if the proposed setup is feasible, which Netgear models would be best suited for above scenario (i.e. most economical)?

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK953 (Router Mode) 2.5Gb Wired Backhaul | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | XR1000 (Router Mode) and RBK853 AP Mode  | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: IPTV

Information exists in various versions and KB editions...

Configuring VLAN IPTV setup on your Nighthawk router

How do I set up a bridge for a VLAN tag group on my Nighthawk router? The later one does - even if it's essentially the same in my reading as the above - include along the recent Nighthawk routers the RAX80, RAX120, XR700 (but why ever not the XR500/450).

And then:

Why on earth two routers, A and B? Explain your idea.

Why ever, for IPTV streaming and proper IGMP multicast and unicast support I would strictly stick with wired connections.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E