Highlighted

IPv6 Firewall on R7800?

I tried enabling IPv6 on my R7800 and was shocked to see that there was no IPv6 firewalling at all. I ran the port scan test here: http://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/ and my SSH port was visible, along with many other ports. I know there's an IPv6 Filtering option that I can toggle between Secured and Open, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

When are we going to get a configurable IPv6 firewall? Since there's no NAT for IPv6, machines are completely exposed!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: IPv6 Firewall on R7800?

what version firmware are you running, there is a new 1.0.1.28 update to that, do a hard reset and see how it behaves, if not get in contact with Netgear support.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

I am using the latest 1.0.0.40 available for the R7800. Are you sure there's a 1.0.1.28?

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted

Oh no kidding! Hmm wonder why the automated firmware check didn't pick it up. Gonna flash it now. Will reply back.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

I just flashed the firmware and I don't see any additional IPv6 settings. Where are these firewall settings supposed to be?

I also don't see any IPv6 firewall changes in the firmware changelog.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

Contacted support. They basically told me that there was no IPv6 firewall at all and that they'll suggest this to engineering.

This is pretty disappointing. I did not expect a 260 dollar router to lack a IPv6 firewall. This is a huge security flaw. Until they fix this in a firmware update, I would not recommend Netgear to other consumers.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

I would ask to speak to level 2 support. There was a similar discussion about the X8 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/ipv6-firewall-on-X8/td-p/1004819

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements