IPv6 Firewall?

RogerSC
Virtuoso

IPv6 Firewall?

Just got a new R7000 here. Got itself on the internet just fine without any help at all from me *smile*. Appreciating the range, speed, and that it doesn't run hot even though it isn't vertical.

I do have a question and a comment:

1. Is there an IPv6 firewall built-in? My port scans here always look good, so I can't really tell. I think that Comcast must be providing this service, since I've had the same experience with previous routers before an IPv6 firewall was added to them.

2. I see that when I enter devices with static IP's and names, that the device names I entered are not displayed on the list of "attached devices". Hopefully at some point, they will actually use the device names that I assigned in the attached devices list, most other firmware I've used where you can assign device names does this.

Other than the above, seems to be working just fine. Of course, I'm currently only using it as a router and for wireless, so not using a lot of the capabilities yet.
Message 1 of 6
Devor
Luminary

Re: IPv6 Firewall?

I don't use IPv6, so I can't answer that one.

As to your second question; I could be wrong, but I believe no Netgear router allows you to add static device names and have those device names supersede those that appear in the Attached Devices list. The device names in the Attached Devices list come from the connecting device itself. If the connecting device doesn't send or provide a default or allow the means to add a device name, then that column in the list will appear blank.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 2 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Attach devices is based from DHCP releasing the IP and ARP command request and reply from the device for the name. Now some devices do have device name some don't but also this very common question been asked and trusting the list under attach device is not very accurate

Static IP on device will be excluded from the list unless you use "address reservation " under LAN setup which you specify within the DHCP which I think list up under attach devices. I use Prosecure router so I'm not 100% sure

Try some like these to test your IPv6
http://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/index.php
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Yes, that's the port scanner that I usually use for IPv6. I've just used it on all the clients at my house that are on the internet, including my iPad, Android phone, and 3 desktop computers. Everything is in stealth mode, but as I said, I can't tell if it's the router or if this is being done by Comcast at the moment. In any case, I seem to be protected on IPv6 against the outside world somehow...

On the device names, I understand the purist point of view. However, I've taken the trouble to give those devices names for ease of identifying them (I thought). The router can tell which ones they are by the MAC addresses, so it would be nice if it would use those device names. But if that isn't Netgear's policy, so it goes *smile*.
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It should be at the router when scan it

Best take your own inventory list rather attach devices. Too many discussion already on this and you will get same answers Smiley HappySmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 6
Waahmbo
Star

If you're using true dual stack ipv6, say faking a 6in4 tunnel (which netgear doesn't properly support) using 6rd, there is absolutely no firewall.  I've been told by netgear that there is, but there simply isn't.

For instance, I used the previously mentioned ipv6 port scanner on a server that is interneal to my network, as far as ipv4 goes, with no ports forwarded via ipv6 and scanned the ipv6 address (of the machine itself, not wan side of the router (r8500 x8).

Here are the results (it doesn't seem to show up, but right click and view in a new tab to see the results): 

port scan

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E