Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPv6 ICMP Filtered

kwolf
Guide

IPv6 ICMP Filtered

Doing the test on http://ipv6-test.com/ results in "Filtered" for ICMP, even if you disable "port scan and ddos protection" and enable "respond to ping on wan port".

The problem was discussed before and, despite what a couple users posted, it is actually not possible to get a passing score on ipv6-test because the R7000 stock firmware is filtering ICMP:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R-7000-and-IPv6-Test/td-p/494908/page/2

This works fine if you flash XVortext Asus WRT firmware, but I can't use that due to broken QoS on IPv6.  This also proves it is a problem with the stock firmware.

Is this ever going to be fixed?  It's been an issue on every firmware version, even the latest "pulled" one (1.0.6.40)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Jim769
Luminary

As I have mentioned in other threads here I worked with Netgear for months last year trying to get them to simply stop filtering the ICMP/v6 packets by changing a firewall rule and they have refused saying its a security risk. I don't understand why the network engineers at Netgear don't get that these packets must NOT be filtered for IPv6 to work properly. 

Anyways it became like beating a dead horse and I finally gave up returned the Netgear router and bought an Asus RT-AC3100 and all problems were instantly solved. So the bottom line I doubt there will be any fix for this in the foreseeable future and IPv6 will continue not to work the way it was intended for Netgear routers. If you want or need a router that has real working IPv6 then you will need to buy from a different manufacture.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 19

All Replies
Judge584
Aspirant

Hi, I have the same problem

Message 2 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@kwolf wrote:

Is this ever going to be fixed?  It's been an issue on every firmware version, even the latest "pulled" one (1.0.6.40)

In order to fix it you'd first have to admit it's a problem.

Message 3 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

As I have mentioned in other threads here I worked with Netgear for months last year trying to get them to simply stop filtering the ICMP/v6 packets by changing a firewall rule and they have refused saying its a security risk. I don't understand why the network engineers at Netgear don't get that these packets must NOT be filtered for IPv6 to work properly. 

Anyways it became like beating a dead horse and I finally gave up returned the Netgear router and bought an Asus RT-AC3100 and all problems were instantly solved. So the bottom line I doubt there will be any fix for this in the foreseeable future and IPv6 will continue not to work the way it was intended for Netgear routers. If you want or need a router that has real working IPv6 then you will need to buy from a different manufacture.

Message 4 of 19
kwolf
Guide

Thanks m8, I'll keep ASUS in mind for my next router purchase.

Honestly, if the Netgear engineers are too dense to understand the extremely basic FACT that ICMP in IPv6 is a fundamental requirement of the protocol, I wonder what else is overlooked in the router firmware.  This certainly doesn't bode well for future firmware releases.  No wonder the past few firmwares have been completely botched, with this caliber of "engineers" working on them...

Message 5 of 19
JamesGL
Master

Hi Kwolf,

Please update your R7000 to the latest firmware v1.0.5.64.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30695

Message 6 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi Kwolf,

Please update your R7000 to the latest firmware v1.0.5.64.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30695

Updating firmware is normally a good thing but from what i hear the IPv6 filtering ICMP/V6 packets is once again not fixed in the new release. Please someone correct me if i am mistaken. 

Message 7 of 19
JamesGL
Master

Hi Jim769,

I would suggest to try the latest firmware and see if it has the same problem. I haven't not seen any feedback from other users that it has the same problem.

Message 8 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi Jim769,

I would suggest to try the latest firmware and see if it has the same problem. I haven't not seen any feedback from other users that it has the same problem.

First and foremost i dont own a Netgear router, been there done that. I have not seen any feedback that says it has been fixed. They never fixed it for the last 3 years. 

Message 9 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi Jim769,

If the release notes don't include IPV6 in it's fixed list then I doubt it fixed itself.

Message 10 of 19
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

I have a Netgear R6400 on Firmware Version V1.0.1.6_1.0.4 .  Cox has fully implemented IPv6 here, but the Router is still showing ICMP as being filtered during testing, which means this router also has this issue, and it is not fixed in this most recent firmware version.  Netgear - you need to fix this.

Message 11 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

After talking with Netgear many times over this and there stance of filtering ICMP/V6 packets because they believe if they dont it's a security risk, i have come to the fact that all Netgear routers have IPv6 that does not work properly. Unless or until they STOP filtering these ICMP/v6 packets it will remain broke. 

Message 12 of 19
mbob4568
Guide

Do all Netgear routers have this firmware bug?

Message 13 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

Yes because they keep filtering ICMP/v6 packets in there firmware firewall rules. Keep in mind this is a very simple fix they refuse to do. So as i have said many times if you want a true working native IPv6 use third party firmware if possible or invest in a router from another manufacture. 

@mbob4568 wrote:

Message 14 of 19
Jim769
Luminary

Yes because they keep filtering ICMP/v6 packets in there firmware firewall rules. Keep in mind this is a very simple fix they refuse to do. So as i have said many times if you want a true working native IPv6 use third party firmware if possible or invest in a router from another manufacture. 

@mbob4568 wrote:

Message 15 of 19
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

FYI: Updated R6400 router to latest firmware released in the last few days (Firmware Version V1.0.1.12_1.0.11), and it is still filtering IPv6 ICMP.  The release notes also do not address this.

Message 16 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Yacht_Rocked,

Let me check on this and get back to you once I have an update.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 19
Jim_B
Tutor

Any way you can check if the 7000 has this same issue?  There no actual reason anyone should filter IPV6 ICMP.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Yacht_Rocked,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7