Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPv6 With Verizon FiOS

PaulGo
Luminary

IPv6 With Verizon FiOS

I also have a Netgear R7000P router, which I use with Verizon FiOS.  Recently, Verizon has implemented IPv6 in my area and soon will be implementing throughout all areas. The R7000P when I enable IPv6 and try Auto Detect only comes up with 6to 4 Tunnel which gives me a LAN IPv6 address. I then tried DCHP and it did not work (no WAN address).   I tried rebooting the router and it still did 6to4 tunnel.  I am using the latest firmware for this router.   In another area of my house I have Comcast internet and with the R7000P router it gets IPv6.  So I have to assume the router has a problem with FiOS. 

DD-WRT supports this router an I installed it. When I enabled IPv6 with the /56 prefix it recognized IPv6 on both the LAN and WAN with Verizon FiOS.

I would prefer to use Netgear firmware on this router.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
PaulGo
Luminary

I resolved the problem using the Netgear firmware!  As previously stated Auto Detect gave me a 6to 4 tunnel.  DCHP did not work.  I just tried Auto Config and it gave me a LAN Address with the WAN address blank.  However I then tried two IPv6 tests on my computer and it showed full IPv6 access.  For some unknown reason the Netgear firmware does not show the WAN IPv6 address but it detects it and uses it with Verizon FiOS.  I also tried this on my RAX45 without the same results. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? There a built in router here? 

Message 2 of 10
PaulGo
Luminary

The Netgear Firmware is the latest version 1.3.3.148.   The ONT is new it was installed in January, 2022.   The only identifing number on the ONT is ALCLCCCE2265 G-211M-C. 

Message 3 of 10
PaulGo
Luminary

The ONT is a device that translates the fiber signal to one that router can use.  It is somewhat similar to a cable modem except the user cannot access or query it.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I think we know what ONTs do. Was checking to see if the ONT has a built in router already or not. By the number you provided, it's just a ONT only. No router built in. Built in router could cause problems. 

I would contact the ISP to see what IPv6 configurations maybe needed or specific to there services. 

Message 5 of 10
PaulGo
Luminary

The IPv6 configuration on the Netgear is limited.  Again using DD-WRT it connected without any modifications. 

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to use 3rd party FW then if that works. 

Message 7 of 10
PaulGo
Luminary

I resolved the problem using the Netgear firmware!  As previously stated Auto Detect gave me a 6to 4 tunnel.  DCHP did not work.  I just tried Auto Config and it gave me a LAN Address with the WAN address blank.  However I then tried two IPv6 tests on my computer and it showed full IPv6 access.  For some unknown reason the Netgear firmware does not show the WAN IPv6 address but it detects it and uses it with Verizon FiOS.  I also tried this on my RAX45 without the same results. 

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 10
PaulGo
Luminary

I should have stated:

I also tried this on my RAX45 with the same results. 

I posted my results on DSL Reports on the tread about FIOS IPv6 and got this explanation:

Most likely because the Netgear firmware is expecting a globally-routable WAN address, but because you don't have one assigned, it's instead using your link-local IPv6 address to communicate with the Verizon gateway. At least on pfSense, the interface pages shows the GUA address, link-local address, and the gateway's address (link-local).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7