Highlighted
Virtuoso

IPv6 finally working properly!!!

I was sent a new intermediate debug firmware release today, and for the first time in the 8 months that I've had this router, I can turn on IPv6, and reboot and power-cycle the router and my internet connection is still on afterwards. I'll be using this one for a while!

Hopefully they can get this into the next official release without breaking it during the interim *smile*.

Finally.
Message 1 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: IPv6 finally working properly!!!

I tested it today as well and it does work. Hopefully they use what they learned and apply it to r6300v2.

Check the usage meter on that beta WLAN is still being counted as WAN
Message 2 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
I tested it today as well and it does work. Hopefully they use what they learned and apply it to r6300v2.

Still have the problem that my mobile devices (Android phone and iPad 3) don't get IPv6, but I'm really happy that don't have to play with the cables when I reboot. That goes a long way.
Message 3 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My iPhone 4S and iPad Air both show a IPV6 in the DNS

I'm using address reservations with IPV6 set to auto config and the router chose DHCP
Message 4 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

My iPad 3 shows an IPv6 address in the DNS as well, but 0/10 on the IPv6 test. With other routers with IPv6 turned on, it's 10/10.
Message 5 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I see the same thing, zero out of 10 on iPhone.
Message 6 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yeah, I told the Netgear person that sent me the debug firmware that this particular problem is still there. He asked a bunch of questions afterwards that led me to believe that they'll be working on it.

I hope so.
Message 7 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sent debug file late last night.
Message 8 of 27
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC,

That is good. I have IPv6 off till they fix it. This is where my router slow downs were coming from. With it off everything is running fine with no slow downs.
Message 9 of 27
Highlighted
Aspirant

Is it random slow downs? I'm trying to identify what's causing mine.
Netgear R7000

DD-WRT Kong 24345

overclocked to 1.2 GHz
Message 10 of 27
Highlighted
Aspirant

RogerSC,

what is the version number of the beta firmware?
Message 11 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's strictly to debug IPV6 and not meant to be released as a beta.
Message 12 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

badsoftware,

The one that I have is 1.0.3.57_20140522_ipv6_dbg3.
Message 13 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
Sent debug file late last night.

I'm glad to hear that you're helping out on this one. I had this issue open for a couple of months, then they closed it for no apparent reason or comment, other than to improve their stats if I didn't re-open it. I re-opened it and it is open now. They haven't asked me for anything on this one, just sent me a different debug release a couple of months ago to try to see if it fixed it.

If they can manage to fix this bug, then they'll have fully functional IPv6 like the other leading wireless-ac routers. Although the Asus may need RMerlin's firmware, I don't have that one. That would be nice.
Message 14 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I tried to upload a 10 minute video depicting the differences between last official and the debug FW. I couldn't shrink it smaller than 30 meg. I tried the shovel ready option using a USB thumb drive but didn't work out to well and couldn't access router until I removed the drive.
Message 15 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

They had me upload a screen shot of my iPad 3 with IPv6 enabled, showing the IPv6 address of my router (default gateway) in the DNS addresses. My laptop, which works with IPv6, and my iPad 3, which doesn't work with IPv6 both have the same IPv6 address for the router. So I don't know what they're doing to discourage the iPad from using IPv6 that the other routers aren't doing...sort of a double negative there, but I know what I meant *smile*.

How about cutting the video up into a couple or 3 pieces, the pieces might make it? Or a lower quality video file (like using a .jpg instead of a .png for a single image)?
Message 16 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Though about it.................I asked for link to post it but no response. If I reduce it again it will be worthless since you can't read it.

If I tried the USB route again Is it possible to actually download it? The few times I played around with it I could only stream.

I guess I'll setup my server for remote access and do it that way.
Message 17 of 27
Highlighted
Novice

ericnix wrote:
Is it random slow downs? I'm trying to identify what's causing mine.

Yes with IPv6 enabled it would gradually start to slow down and I would have to reboot the router to get the speeds backup. With it disabled I have not had any slow downs.
Message 18 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This thread is about a beta FW which addresses a known IPV6 issue which is when enabled and router is rebooted or power cycled router would not get a IP weather IPV4 or IPV6.

If your using IPV6 and experience a problem other than this You should contact support and open a case.
Message 19 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey Rodger,

It's working on my iPhone!!!!!!!!!!
Message 20 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Woo-hoo! New test firmware from Netgear, or something that you did?

Now you've got me curious, drop the other shoe, please.
Message 21 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

iPad Air too.

I noticed a problem today regarding attached devices. One device was listed twice, two different MACS, and two different IP's, But same device name. I factory defaulted and manually entered configs now IPV6 on all device.
Message 22 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Use AUTO CONFIG and check your inbox
Message 23 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Select "AUTO DETECT" for IPV6 the router is using DHCP
Message 24 of 27
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Not only did I need to use "Auto Detect", but I also needed "Auto Config" at the bottom part of the page. Ended up with a connection (finally) that is of type "DHCP", and both my Android phone and iPad now have IPv6. And it all survived a reboot as well.

Kind of interesting, usually I use DHCP at the top right as the way to make the connection, and also DHCP at the bottom left on the IPv6 page, but that had different results. That one didn't work on my mobile devices.

Just weird, but nice. Hopefully I can duplicate this one next time *smile*.

Thanks for the pointers, very helpful!
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements