Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPv6 settings for R7000 (Provider: Slingshot - New Zealand)

travelermatt
Aspirant

IPv6 settings for R7000 (Provider: Slingshot - New Zealand)

Hi everybody,

I am at my wits end trying to enable IPv6 on my router. I have been in touch with my ISP and they stated 'IPv6 is enabled our end, you will have to contact Netgear if it isnt working' so they were no help.

I have tried logging into router, navigate to advanced, IPv6 and selecting 'Auto Detect', this returned 6to4 Tunnel. All settings on auto did not work, manually setting the DNS to what Slingshot advise also didnt work. 

Ive gone through all the other options but nothing worked when set to auto, what am I missing?

If it matters I'm running FW version 1.0.9.42 as I have issues with my 5Ghz network disconnecting on any newer versions.

Thanks in advance for your help/ideas.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
travelermatt
Aspirant

**SOLUTION FOUND** In case anyone else is in the same situation as me I have response from Slingshot tech support, since I tried with the supplied modem and got the same results they agreed to help.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your query.

I have just spoken with our Network operations team and they have advised that only recently (2-3 weeks ago), we have actually stopped supporting IPv6. Unfortunately, this information has not yet reached our customer facing team and we weren't aware of this as well as not being updated on our website. 

I do apolosie for the inconvenience and I have requested for this to be updated on both our teams and on our website.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or live chat with our team online. Otherwise, check out the help section on our website.

Thanks,
The team @ Slingshot"

Looks like I've been going round in circles as they havent even told their customer support or updated their website!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Have you tried setting it to DHCP instead of Auto?

You can also test if you can get an IPv6 address at all on one of your devices by setting it to Pass Through

Message 2 of 6
travelermatt
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  Neither of these worked unfortunately. I run IPv6-test.com but it fails.

When set to DHCP, settings on auto or manual, if doesnt work. The 'Router's IPv6 Address On WAN' field also display 'Not Available'.

I have tried running the test on another device when set to Pass Through, still no luck.

**Quick thought, I am not running a modem. I have the R7000 plugged directly into the ONT, with the VLAN/Bridge settings set and everything works fine. Down/up speeds are what I pay for, would not having a modem be an issue or should the R7000 figure IPv6 out itself?**

Message 3 of 6
travelermatt
Aspirant

Just set up the modem that came with from the ISP and that doesnt work either. 

At least when test it with their modem I can use their customer support and hopefully learn what to do on the netgear router too.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Message 4 of 6
travelermatt
Aspirant

**SOLUTION FOUND** In case anyone else is in the same situation as me I have response from Slingshot tech support, since I tried with the supplied modem and got the same results they agreed to help.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your query.

I have just spoken with our Network operations team and they have advised that only recently (2-3 weeks ago), we have actually stopped supporting IPv6. Unfortunately, this information has not yet reached our customer facing team and we weren't aware of this as well as not being updated on our website. 

I do apolosie for the inconvenience and I have requested for this to be updated on both our teams and on our website.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or live chat with our team online. Otherwise, check out the help section on our website.

Thanks,
The team @ Slingshot"

Looks like I've been going round in circles as they havent even told their customer support or updated their website!

Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

Hah! What kind of ISP drops support for IPv6 given that now virtually all IPv4 addresses are exhausted and more and more ISPs are forcing CGNAT *and* setting up their IPv6 support for the future?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7