Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP (Mediacom) will not update firmware since C7000V2 not on approved list.

retiredbgo
Aspirant

ISP (Mediacom) will not update firmware since C7000V2 not on approved list.

I have an AC1900/C7000V2 router/modem that has the instability issues of late.  I have firmware  version V1.02.14  and have been trying to update to V1.03.01.   This model is compatable with Mediacom but not on their approved list, therefore will not update it.

I have talked to two different mediacom reps and that is is there position. On the Netgear website I found a table to confirm this. I do not show a place to update from my Genie app or signing into the router address.   After weeks of going in circles I am at a loss on how to get the updated firmware installed.

Any help would be appriciated.

Retiredbgo

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: ISP (Mediacom) will not update firmware since C7000V2 not on approved list.

You won't be able to. Mediacom is the only one who can update it and they refuse to. 

So you're kind of SOL. 

That's the problem with modem/router combo devices and one of the reasons  we usually push people to buy a modem seperate from the modem. 

What actual issues are you have? 

What makes you think upgrading firmware will fix it/ 

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs? 

Message 2 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.  My issues are that it  loses internet and sometimes wifi for 3-20 minutes.  Usually it will come back later.  I have done factory reset, unplgging it or reboot router from Genie app to restore full operation.  It may occur several times an hour to once every several days.

This started maybe 45 days but it has gotten worst.  Reading different forums to pointed to a firmware problem and gave the version of the update.  

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

Message 4 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

Sorry if this is bulky.  I just learned what a snipping tool is.  Sent emails earlier but they were returned.  Hopefully this is the info you asked for.
Thanks for your help.
George Lawrence

I have been sending emails but all have been returned. Not sure if the attached photos will be present, as they are the logs you asked for.
-----Original Message-----
To: 
retiredbgo@aim.com
Sent: Sat, Sep 25, 2021 1:16 pm
Subject: Re: ISP (Mediacom) will not update firmwar...

Hi retiredbgo,

plemans (Guru) posted a new reply in Nighthawk WiFi Routers on 2021-09-25 01:16 PM :

You won't be able to. Mediacom is the only one who can update it and they refuse to. 
So you're kind of SOL. 
That's the problem with modem/router combo devices and one of the reasons  we usually push people to buy a modem seperate from the modem. 

What actual issues are you have? 
What makes you think upgrading firmware will fix it/ 
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

to add them click on "choose file" and add them 1 at a time. 

Message 6 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

I hope all the files are here. I hadded them one at a time. Thank you for your patience. This kind of stuff is ouit of my wheelhouse.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

well you added 1 page of the "log" 

Not the "event log"

Or the cable connections page. 

Message 8 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

Cable1.pngCable2.pngCable3.pngEVENT LOG1.pngEVENT LOG2.pngEVENT LOG3.pngLog1.pngEVENT LOG2.pngLOG3.pngLOG4.pngDIAGNOSTICS.png 

I hope this finally goes thru.  I noticed an log entry of (DoS attack: Teardrop or derivative] from 224.3.195.0, port 0) and not sure if this effects me.  I have been running ok for the last two days.  Thanks.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 9 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

I have tried different ways to add files and even tried to add as photos, but I think was to large.  I can only add 1 file, and when I add another the one that was listed disappeared and only shows the latest selected.  I don't think I need to send 9 emails for the snip shots.  Please help me correctly add the files.  I can not break the code on what I need to do.

Thanks

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

You have line issues. You've got a ton of errors in the line, not all your channels are locking, and your logs are indicating issues with connecting back to the isp. 

Check the coax line for damage, kinks, bad cables. 

Remove any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenuators. Check the connectors for being loose, old, bad, corroded, cheap and replace them if there are. 

Preferably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent wiring in the walls being the issue. 

If none of that helps, the ISP needs to check the line. 

Message 11 of 12
retiredbgo
Aspirant

Thanks,

The modem is at the point  where it enters the house from the crawl space. I reconnected the cable and have suspected the line from the terminal box but did not have the knowledge to defend against Mediacom if they wanted to blame the modem.

Thank you again and for having the patience working with me.

George

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7