Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Im stuck in bridge mode and can't access genie

smithjordan2196
Aspirant

Im stuck in bridge mode and can't access genie

So i put my router in bridge mode and now i cannot access anything to get it out of bridge mode. I have reset my router almost 20 times and have tried using 5 different computers. I have tried going to routerlogin.net and also just typing in my ip address on all 5 different computers. I can not get anything to help

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

So i put my router in bridge mode ...

Is this as a wireless repeater?

If so you should be able to get at it by aiming a browser at its IP address. The router is just one of several places where the IP address for the  R7450 will be listed.

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

I have tried going to routerlogin.net and also just typing in my ip address on all 5 different computers.

You can't use routerlogin.net for something in bridge or AP mode and I have no idea what you mean by "my ip address". It is the IP address of the R7450 that you need.

Message 2 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

so how do i find the ip for the actual router then? 

Message 3 of 20

That depends on the router. You haven't told us what that is.

By default many brands use 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 for a modem router.

If you are connected with a PC to the router, then it should show the IP address in the network settings and properties.

But if you want to get the IP address of the R7450, then some other network tool should help. If you can connect to its wifi, then the connection's properties should show the IP address.

If you just want to get it out of bridge mode, read this:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

yes i want to get it out of bridge mode and i have factory reset it multiple times by following that guide. But it just restarts and then i still dont have access to change any settings

Message 5 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

But it just restarts and then i still dont have access to change any settings

How are you trying to access the thing after the reset?

Disconnect it from everything and plug it into a PC that is also connected to nothing else. Then you should be able to use the usual access methods. They will not work if it is on the same network as something else.

Message 6 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

so i need to disconnect evrything from the router??? because as soon as i reset it all of my devices in my household automatically connect

Message 7 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

so i need to disconnect evrything from the router???

I'm confused. Which "router" are we talking about there?

In bridge mode, the R7450 is not functioning as a router.

You subject says, "stuck in bridge mode". Was the R7450 connected by wifi to another router?

Because you said it was in bridge mode, I assumed that it was connected to another router.

If it wasn't, then it wasn't in "bridge mode".

The reset will also have removed it from bridge mode,

Take us through the network. What is the modem at the front end? Is there another router in there? If so what is it?

I begin to suspect that your issue is very different from the subject and that "bridge mode" has nothing to do with it.

Message 8 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

Okay so my internet cable comes in to my house and connects directly to my R7450. I was expierancing issues with my internet. I was getting Double NAT errors on different devices. It was suggested that i try and put my R7450 into Bridge mode to see if that resolved those issues, which it did but then it caused even worse issues. SO now I am trying to just get my R7450 out of bridge mode and back to normal.

Message 9 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

It was suggested that i try and put my R7450 into Bridge mode to see if that resolved those issues, which it did but then it caused even worse issues.

OK. Without a router in front of the R7450, suggesting bridge mode was strange advice.

People use "bridge mode" to describe many things. According to the manual for your R7450:

"You can use your router in bridge mode to connect multiple devices wirelessly... "

I admit that that could be clearer, but it doesn't mean that you can use bridge mode to fix problems with wifi devices. As the manual goes on to say:

You need two routers: one set up as a router and the other set up as a bridge.

That doesn't sound like anything you were trying to do. So we have no idea why anyone would advise you to put the R7450 into bridge mode. Did whoever suggested that offer any explanation as to why they thought it a good idea?

Back to the beginning:

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

Okay so my internet cable comes in to my house and connects directly to my R7450.

So there is no box on the wall that feeds into your router? Just a LAN port?

What sort of Internet is this? The only common ways in which the Internet arrives with nothing else involved is with optical fibre and an "ONT" (optical network terminator) or in an apartment where the whole place is wired for Internet fed from a collective router. 

It might help of you told people who the ISP is and what sort of Internet is claims to deliver.

You said at the start:

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

I was expierancing issues with my internet. I was getting Double NAT errors on different devices.

Double NAT is usually caused by having two routers around. (It could be something else, but without details of those "issues" and the devices involved, who knows?) From your description, there is only one router.

If that hole in the wall actually feeds in from another router, then bridge mode is all wrong. But if you could experiment with "access point" mode as this is a well know way if dealing with Double NAT errors . Read the  bit in the manual Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Apologies if this is taking so long to result. But you may have start off with the bridge mode red herring while at the same time not telling us anything about this Double NAT thing. It took us nine messages to get to this possibly important factor.

Anything else you haven't told us about?

Message 10 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

Okay so my question is still How do i access the router to get it out of bridge mode. I know for a fact i put it into bridge mode and now i cant get it out of bridge mode

Message 11 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You will have to find the new Ip address of that router. Typically the way to do this is to log into the router that isn't bridged and go to the attached devices find the other router's IP address and then put that IP address in your web browser. That should prompt you with the login for the R7450.

Message 12 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

Okay but seems i dont have another router plugged in i cant do that. 

Message 13 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

ok if you do not have another router plugged in you can try this. I linked how to find your default gateway that will be the IP address you want to use.

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/finding-your-default-gateway/

DarrenM

Message 14 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

Okay so my question is still How do i access the router to get it out of bridge mode. I know for a fact i put it into bridge mode and now i cant get it out of bridge mode

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You say you have done that, but to get a router into bridge mode you have to change the settings.

Reset restores everything back to the "out of the box" settings.

It isn't clear to me what you are doing after you did those multiple resets. The exact details are important.

I would investigate what you should do next. Treat the thing as a brand new device that you have just taken out of the box.

You said at the outset:

I have tried going to routerlogin.net and also just typing in my ip address on all 5 different computers. I can not get anything to help

What are you doing and what happens when you do that? No error messages?

Message 15 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

so if i go to the default gateway it does bring up a different login than normal but my log in credentials do not work for it

Message 16 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

so after i rest my router it slowly reboots back on and then i try and login to the router via routerlogin.net and i am still unable to do so

Message 17 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It may have brought you your modem login does your modem have a built-in router?

Message 18 of 20
smithjordan2196
Aspirant

no my modem does not have a built in router

Message 19 of 20

@smithjordan2196 wrote:

so if i go to the default gateway it does bring up a different login than normal but my log in credentials do not work for it

Your own login credentials for router management will not work because the reset has wiped them out. 

Try the factory defaults. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7