Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incredibly slow wireless performance - hardwire is fine

atborg
Aspirant

Incredibly slow wireless performance - hardwire is fine

Recently our wireless speeds are below 50 mbps (though sometimes up to 130-ish). We pay for up to 500 mbps. I thought the issue was with our ISP until today when I ran a speedtest on an ethernet connection and got 480 mbps. Any tips on what might be happening here?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Incredibly slow wireless performance - hardwire is fine

wifi speeds are usually because of the device connecting. Some devices use a 1x1 antenna and some use a 2x2. 

As well as 2.4ghz speeds are much much slower than 5ghz speeds. If you're speedtesting over 2.4ghz, 50mbps is actually pretty solid. 

What device are you testing on? 

have you tried other devices? 

Are you testing on 2.4ghz or 5gh? 

how far from the router are you?

Message 2 of 6
atborg
Aspirant

Thanks, I am a couple feet from the router and connected on 5ghz. Testing on a macbook air and my Google Pixel phone gets between 20 and 50 mbps today (sometimes its better). However, when I run a speed test on my hardwired Xbox (the only device I own with an ethernet port) it says 500 mpbs. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

have you tried changing wireless channels? 

Or factory resetting and reinstalling? 

Message 4 of 6
atborg
Aspirant

Ah. I just tried a new channel on my 5gh network and now getting download speeds up to 240. Huge improvement. Is that the highest I should expect from this router? With ethernet speeds of ~500

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

240mbps is pretty good for over wireless on a C7000. Some might hit a little faster, some a little lower depending on environment/interference.  A modem/router combo device isn't going to have the same performance as a router by itself. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7