Follower

Installation problems

After enduring a severe windstorm, days of no power or internet, I finally had return of power and internet service to find my Cisco Linksys router fried from power surges and purchased a new Netgear R6400 after being recommended by sales person and my ISP.  //first thing I noted was there were rather skimpy, cryptic installation instructions, if they could be called that.  Trying to register was the first headache because it was not clear what "password" should be used and the more I navigated the website, the angrier I got because it is thoroughly ambiguous, misleading, and full of contradictions.  It became clear I needed to use my iPhone to download the firmware updates, or so it seemed, and that turned out a huge waste of time.  Finally, I ignored all the misleading information on website and figured out to download Nighthawk app on my own (it is certainly not through the Apple App Store) and forced the router to be configured properly and ultimately found the installed product was outstanding, fast, and a vastimprovement over my old router.  I have considerable experience and savvy with lots of computers and accessories but I seriously wonder how Netgear can expect the average civilian to install and configure such a device with techy-nerds writing the "instructions"--I doubt they have seen daylight in years.  Get a life and include easy to understand instructions within the box the product comes in.  I hope you will take this constructively--I see no other way to communicate.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: Installation problems

Just curious. I just looked at the online install manual and I do not see where they are having you use a phone app to install. They talk about using a PC, MAC would work as well, and connecting using the PC either by Ethernet or wireless and doing configuration. 

Is the problem you are one of those that does not have a desktop or laptop PC available to do the install? 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 5
Master

@myersw wrote:

Just curious. I just looked at the online install manual and I do not see where they are having you use a phone app to install. They talk about using a PC, MAC would work as well, and connecting using the PC either by Ethernet or wireless and doing configuration.

Bill, it IS true... I was flabergasted as well. Just like NG removed the 'use wired connection' for firmware, it seems that new routers are labeled to use the MOBILE apps to install!!! The R8000 I bought in March had Netgear UP on the sticker. Newer ones say Nighthawk. Worse (in my eyes at least) during the install it will check and d/l the latest firmware if you want for you before completing setup.

Don't forget, the true manual IS not shipped with the router. All you get is a 2 page or so setup page. See THAT HERE. Also there is a DO MORE DOCUMENT  too. I assume those are the only 'paper' in the box.

Netgear has changed how they do things with respect to instructions. The DO MORE document though does seem to be good for either way, via the app or using a browser.

Message 3 of 5
Master

@crwinc wrote:

It became clear I needed to use my iPhone to download the firmware updates, or so it seemed, and that turned out a huge waste of time.  Finally, I ignored all the misleading information on website and figured out to download Nighthawk app on my own (it is certainly not through the Apple App Store) and forced the router to be configured properly and ultimately found the installed product was outstanding, fast, and a vastimprovement over my old router. 

Yes, Nighthawk IS available on the Apple Store, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nighthawk-formerly-up/id1124666597?mt=8, don't know why you couldn't find it.

Don't know if you got the 'Do More' document but that details all the settings and it did NOT required that mobile app.

Message 4 of 5
Master

@IrvSp

Interesting about the document. The doc site still has an install doc, one telling how to setup, etc that has you connecting via either Ethernet or wireless. From experiences of folks on the forum with the app on phone, I sure would not go that route. There is of course the regular user manual as well on the site. 

--bill

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements