Installation

Faharris0124
Aspirant

Installation

It shows up in my wifi list but it will not allow me to connect. I have rebooted 4 times, changed the ethernet cable and plugin position. All the lights are white.
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Installation

A bit more details are needed.

1. Is this a new purchase and your trying to go through setup?

2. What firmware are you on?

3. What modem are you using? 

4. Are you trying to go through setup over wifi? If so, connect via ethernet and go through setup. This would avoid the wifi issue and you can reset the wifi ssid/password while going through setup.

A little better description might help to figure out exactly what's going on.

What error is it giving you?

If it was a returned/refurb/open box, maybe it was partially setup once. Push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds while powered up. the lights should flash. This should get you back to factory. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@Faharris0124 wrote:
It shows up in my wifi list but it will not allow me to connect. I have rebooted 4 times, changed the ethernet cable and plugin position. All the lights are white.

I say basically your post is not clear, to say the least?

It shows up in my wifi list but it will not allow me to connect.

One what device, and exactly what is 'it'? How did you try to connect? What did you enter? What happened specififcally, any error or mesage?

. I have rebooted 4 times

What was rebooted? Router, Modem (what make and model is it?), and in what order?

changed the ethernet cable and plugin position. All the lights are white.

Confusing? If all the LED's are White (suspect some towards the end had to be off? Why would you change the Ethernet cable (I assume from the modem to the router?)? If you didn't plug the modem cable into the WAN port surely all LED's couldn't be white? Even then, if you have not got active wired devices plugged into the LAN ports those LED's would be off?

Soooo, what exactly are you trying to do and what ERRORS go you get?

Message 3 of 5
Faharris0124
Aspirant

This is a new purchase. I followed the instructions, downloaded the app, hooked up the router to the modem and tried to connect the netgear45. I recieved the error message "internet may not be available".
Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@Faharris0124 wrote:
This is a new purchase. I followed the instructions, downloaded the app, hooked up the router to the modem and tried to connect the netgear45. I recieved the error message "internet may not be available".

If you want help here from end-users like you, you'll really need to provide full details. Don't leave it to 'us' to 2nd guess what you mean or did?

First off, if this is TRUE, "This is a new purchase.", you can go to support tab and then My Support and open a case with Netgear and they will help you. Can also do CHAT.

" I followed the instructions", OK, but where did you find them or what were they? What step  failed, and what error did you get?

" downloaded the app", WHAT app? There is more than one, and some don't even work with all routers.

"hooked up the router to the modem", good but from what modem (make and model) and what was connected to that modem before? What port from the modem to router was used?

"tried to connect the netgear45", good, but how and to which device? What SSID band is this, suspect the 2.4Ghz band? Does that SSID match what is on the bottom label of the router for the default SSID's?

"I recieved the error message "internet may not be available", well, that error is what it says it is, but might not stop you from installing the router and changing settings. What step was it that you got that message from? Suspect you were able to connect to Netgear45 though and you provided the correct P/W.

That message means that the router is NOT talking to the modem. Many things could cause this. Was the modem on or off when you connected the router? Both router and modem should be off when connecting the router. Then power up modem and when up, the router.

What IS the color of the LED for the Internet? Should be white but I suspect Red/Orange.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E