Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Integrating Netgear NightHawk R7000 downstream from network switch downstream from other router

nbsimons
Aspirant

Integrating Netgear NightHawk R7000 downstream from network switch downstream from other router

Hello,

I am working on upgrading my wireless network to include wired connections for high-demand devices.  The primary router that I am using is an ISP-provided Plume mesh WiFi router.  I had previously purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and am/was pleased with the WiFi range.  I previously had my R7000 integrated into my home network as such:

nbsimons_0-1656563975080.png

As I was looking to expand my wired network while maintaining the WiFi range of the R7000, I ran some additional ethernet cables and purchased some switches, to change my design to look as such:

nbsimons_1-1656564084250.png

In the original design, I had the R7000 set to access point mode with the source ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port, the computer plugged into a LAN port, and the second Plume router plugged into another LAN port.  This system worked. 

After the switches and changing nothing else, the network no longer functions.  I have a WiFi connection at my original router, but I have no WiFi or ethernet connectivity downstream in the system.  I have tried resetting and re-setting-up my R7000 in access point mode.  I have also tried setting up the R7000 using a static IP, disabling DHCP, and using a LAN port as recommended in this community post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/WAN-OR-LAN-Port-for-Access-Point/m-p/1066752....

The reason I suspect that the problem is with the configuration of the R7000 is that, even though I was able to get the original design functional, it took some finagling (unfortunately, I do not remember exactly what I did not make it work; not that this matters because these settings did not work in the new design).  In the new design, when I remove the R7000, the network is usually functional.  

I appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
nbsimons
Aspirant

Re: Integrating Netgear NightHawk R7000 downstream from network switch downstream from other router

@FURRYe38 -

Thanks for the suggestion.

After getting some sleep and starting fresh, I tried a clean reset of the TL-SG108E switch and the R7000.  After letting the switch boot, I connected the other downstream switches and confirmed successful connection.  I then configured the R7000 in AP mode using the same settings I tried before.  For whatever reason, everything worked this time around.  I am not sure if there was initial boot time on the switch or router that I was not giving adequate time to complete or what.  

But for now, the the network is up and running so I am not going to argue with apparent success.

Thanks for your time!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Integrating Netgear NightHawk R7000 downstream from network switch downstream from other router

IF the router worked before you added switched and changed the configuration, then I would presume that what you added or changed maybe the cause of what your having problems with. Go back to the original configuration. 

Don't had a switch in between the Router and your host router. 

Change the Switches for a different brand and see. 

Message 2 of 4
nbsimons
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 -

Thanks for the suggestion.

After getting some sleep and starting fresh, I tried a clean reset of the TL-SG108E switch and the R7000.  After letting the switch boot, I connected the other downstream switches and confirmed successful connection.  I then configured the R7000 in AP mode using the same settings I tried before.  For whatever reason, everything worked this time around.  I am not sure if there was initial boot time on the switch or router that I was not giving adequate time to complete or what.  

But for now, the the network is up and running so I am not going to argue with apparent success.

Thanks for your time!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7