Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittant Connection Loss -

MissMyBike
Guide

Intermittant Connection Loss -

Have been experiencing intermittant internet stalls & outages. Checked with the ISP provider & installed an updated modem which didn't help. The ISP said on their end, the service appears OK & that no recent record of issues was showing up on the service record. The issues seem to occur on the smart TV, the computer, phones, & ipad. The issues seem to affect all devices at the same time. Also the issues seem to occur even when one or two devices are in use with the rest not in use. The router was rebooted & factory reset, to no avail. I have not tinkered with the router settings other than turning off the DQoS. I have checked the firmware & see installed version of V1.3.3.140_10.1.75. A more recent version seems to be available for security fixes (1.3.3.142), but the router login page says it has the latest version already - not sure why! The Genie app (on M1 Mac) did a speed test & reported back very low download at about 150Kbps, but Speedtest.com says download speed is at 20+Mbps which is closer to the ISP speed. Any advice would be appreciated to peel this mystery down!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have connected to? 

What actual speeds do you pay your isp for (upstream and downstream)?

Does it happen for all devices? Just wireless devices? Does it impact wired devices? 

Message 2 of 4
MissMyBike
Guide

The modem is a brand new Specrtrum, ES2251 DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA. If not mistaken, it is made by Hitron. Note, the same issues existed while using the older Arris SB6183 modem.

The ISP service expected is for low speeds of 15Mbps/3Mbps. Given that service seems OK "most of time when before the issues arise" streaming movies, I am guessing we are closer to the expected ISP service speeds, even though Netgear Genie speed test says we are at about 150Kbps download. Also, note the ISP agent told me over the phone that he sees nothing out of the ordinary on recent history of the service for our address.

The intermittant cutoffs & slowdowns affect all devices (TV, iPhones, Mac, iPad), all of which are on Wifi, & none with an Ethernet port. I thought about getting an adaptor for the M1 Mac to connect to the Ethernet for a direct speed test, but decided to post the questions here to see what other ideas may be presented.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would try a direct speedtest first. the built in speedtest isn't that reliable. 

15mbps speed isn't that great of a speed. 4k streaming will struggle and some 1080P can stuggle at those speeds. 

Try changing the wifi channel your broadcasting on

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7