• 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Intermittent Internet Connectivity

Hello!

Recently I began having issues with my 2 month old R7000. Prior, I was flawlessly running 2 Xbox Ones at the same time with 2-3 wireless devices.

I have a Technicolor T8305c Comcast Modem/Router combo in Bridge mode
The R7000 is configured only as such -

These are the settings I always had and worked fine. As of Jan 23rd, 2015 I began getting kicked off Destiny every 20 minutes or less.

My Nighthawk always had all the LED's on and white, not indicating there was an issue connecting to the internet. I was able to discover the issue by logging into my Nighthawk when the connection to my Xbox dropped. The box on the left under the internet tab said Internet NOT CONNECTED. After a few minutes, it would refresh itself and re-connect. Another happy 20 minutes of Destiny.

I updated the firmware to the next recommended update, but did not resolve the issue. I had held out on updating the firmware because my connection was fine out of the box.

I wanted to make sure it was my Nighthawk, so I directly connected to my Comcast modem after taking it out of bridge mode. I was able to play without any disconnects. Modem IP lease is set to 1 week. I am not sure if there is something I'm missing. Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Intermittent Internet Connectivity

Have you tired to factory reset the router?
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes factory reset both the AC1900 and the Comcast modem.
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Maybe you could try enabling ‘Respond to Ping on Internet Port’ in Wan Setup, some ISPs use this.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello!

Thanks, last night I did 2 things before going to bed

changed the LAN cable from the modem to the router
enabled Respond to ping

I was so frustrated and tired I just went to bed without testing. I will test tonight and let you know what happens!
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Intermittent Internet Connectivity [FIXED]

Hello!

Sorry for the late update. I was able to resolve this issue simply!

Re-reading the "respond to ping" post clicked a theory in my head. If this is my router intermittently causing this, it must really not be responding to my modem.

Even though respond to ping on WAN port was enabled, I still experienced the issue in addition to the new LAN cable.

Settings now that it is fixed:

Modem in Bridge mode
Static IP set 10.0.0.2 for Router by Custom MAC address
Router set to use that Custom MAC address

This resolved my issue. Since the router no long needs to be dynamic, there is no more responses needed!
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update, it seems that your modem might apply a kind of ‘Half Bridge Mode’.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Babylon5 wrote:
Maybe you could try enabling ‘Respond to Ping on Internet Port’ in Wan Setup, some ISPs use this.

Hello, I have had this same problem. When I enable 'respond to ping' it fixes my problem. However I know it isn't safe to leave that feature enabled. Im just curious what I should do?
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don’t see responding to ping as a significant security issue, but if you are unhappy then surely the issue is with the system that needs to see a response, you should contact your ISP in that case.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I need help with my Comcast modem/router in bridge mode. I have a R7000 Nighthawk but can't get anyone from netgear to help me set it up correctly. I have a Cisco device type XB3 Model DPC3939 DOCSIS 3.0. When it's in bridge mode the second light from the left if your looking at it is orange and any ethernet port I hook up to is orange also. I paid too much for all these problems and no one has pointed me to any firmware update or mentioned any forum etc. By the way I have been told 4 times I have a bad R7000 so they can get me off the line So they can hang up on me. Now they are sending me a replacement!
Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you post some more detail please?

Do you have no connectivity at all?
Does the computer connect to the router or does it indicate a failure in some way?
Do you have more than one computer connected to the router?
Is the computer Ethernet port gigabit capable or 10/100?
Are you able to access the router configuration page? Is so can you look at the Show Statistics page and see what link rate is shown for the WAN port and the port to which the computer is connected.
Highlighted
Aspirant

once in bridge mode the netgear router plugged from the comcast router/modem won't show connectivity but when I plug a a different ethernet cord straight from the comcast router I am able to get on the Internet hardwired from Port 2 on the Comcast modem/router while the netgear is plugged in port 1 of the comcast modem/roter
Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Also soon as I call Comcast and ask them to take their signal out of bridge mode I reset the router and I am able to use the router but with comcasts signal and netgears wifi signal conflicting each other. But yet I am told I have a hardware issue
Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Is that enough info? Help?
Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry for not replying, I will take a look at this after work this evening (about 4 hours away).
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The issue isn’t the WiFi signals; that should not cause any conflicts at all. The problem is having two routers in series and it’s not entirely clear to me how the Comcast modem is set up, it sounds like it might still be operating as a router?
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

moparman2010 wrote:
I need help with my Comcast modem/router in bridge mode. I have a R7000 Nighthawk but can't get anyone from netgear to help me set it up correctly. I have a Cisco device type XB3 Model DPC3939 DOCSIS 3.0. When it's in bridge mode the second light from the left if your looking at it is orange and any ethernet port I hook up to is orange also. I paid too much for all these problems and no one has pointed me to any firmware update or mentioned any forum etc. By the way I have been told 4 times I have a bad R7000 so they can get me off the line So they can hang up on me. Now they are sending me a replacement!

The Cisco DPC3939 is a POS with it's current FW and total lack of Comcrap support. I would dump it if I hadn't spent $40 for the back-up battery.

The ONLY way to get a repeatable connection when using bridge mode is to FIRST default the DPC3939 to default settings, after the reboot log in again and then change to Bridge mode.
Do this with a wired connection and use this PC mac in the router internet setup too.

If you're in bridge mode and cannot login to DPC use a static IP 10.0.0.2 and type 10.0.0.1 to access the DCP.

Lastly the DPC does Not support 0finity hotspot as of now, they say it will in the future.
Message 17 of 17