Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent connection problems after v1.0.4.46 firmware update

MauleGuy
Apprentice

Intermittent connection problems after v1.0.4.46 firmware update

I updated my firmware to v1.0.4.46 but have been getting strange issues when trying to log on to certain websites.

I often have to click numerous times to get on a site and often on login sites I have issues logging in. 

I moved my ethernet cable directly to the Arris SB8200 cable modem and problem seems to be solved but if I run the SB8200 into the WAN connection of the R7900 the problem reappears.  

In addition I have used dslreports.com  speed test for years is the only thing that fails when directly connected to the SB8200 but that could be a totally unrelated issue. 

Is there a later version of the firmware update?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MauleGuy
Apprentice

Problem solved.  Netgear R7900 sitting in a box ready to be donated to a charity that supplies computer supplies to people in need.

Factory reset should solve the issue for re-use.

View solution in original post

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things to try. 

1. enable ipv6 if you haven't and reboot the router/devices. 

2. factory reset the router. Maybe an old setting is causing the issue. 

3. downgrade the firmware. Maybe the latest did introduce an issue. You can always downgrade. 

Message 2 of 7
MauleGuy
Apprentice

I thought the firmware update was to correct security issues.  Rolling back to an earlier update seems to defeat the purpose.

I have pretty much had it w/ Netgear's lack of respect for their customers.  Next stop is a new routher NOT Netgear.

Message 3 of 7
MauleGuy
Apprentice

Problem solved.  Netgear R7900 sitting in a box ready to be donated to a charity that supplies computer supplies to people in need.

Message 4 of 7
vmartinezjr
Aspirant

@MauleGuy wrote:

I am having the same issue since the update. my version is V1.4.2.84 Any resolutions other than donating it?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
MauleGuy
Apprentice

The only recommendation I received was to roll back the firmware ( have no idea how to do that) but since this was supposed to be a security update I didn't think that was a good idea.

After I replaced the R7900, all the issues went away including a mysterious wireless printer issue that I had not associated w/ the R7900.

One can get a very nice X3000 router for under $120.00 in the US.  I thought my network security and time was worth at least that.

Message 6 of 7

@MauleGuy wrote:

The only recommendation I received was to roll back the firmware ( have no idea how to do that)

Read the manual or follow this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

.... since this was supposed to be a security update I didn't think that was a good idea.

While that approach makes much sense, it  might help to have a bit of background. Those "security updates" are often in response to someone somewhere in an academic computer lab or a maker of security software, setting out to break things. They then pass this detail on, even though no one has seen evidence of these exploits in the wild.

In some cases, military systems, for example, it is important to fix those holes. But for many users the threat to a domestic network is minimal.

Think of it as someone in a research lab on the other side of the planet finding a Covid variant that has yet infect anyone. They then tell the world about this and medics rush to find a vaccine for something that might not even be infectious.

So, while it makes sense to keep up to date with security fixes, for many users a cost-benefit analysis might suggest that living with the theoretical threat is preferable to struggling with a router that doesn't do its job properly.

The choice is yours, but best made from knowing what is going on.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7