Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent internet connection using a Netgear R7800 and Comcast Business router in Bridge Mode

brainmatter1
Aspirant

Intermittent internet connection using a Netgear R7800 and Comcast Business router in Bridge Mode

Hi All,

I have a small office with 3 workstations and a network printer. I have Comcast Business with a Cisco DPC3941B (supplied by Comcast) in bridge mode, connected to a NightHawk R7800 with all workstations connected via ethernet, and broadcasting WiFi for mobile devices. There are no special settings, port forwarding or anything else configured. Pretty straight forward network config, using DHCP.

This setup has been running perfect with no interruptions for months.

All of a sudden, I had an issue where internet went down, but LAN and Wifi were still functioning fine. (Network printer worked, and shared folders were accessible.) After power cycling both the R7800 and the Cisco modem, everything was restored.

This then became more and more frequent. Until internet would kick out at random intervals and very frequently. The internet connectivity lights on the R7800 or the Cisco modem never indicated a disconnect, but no devices were able to access the web, both via ethernet and Wifi.

I had Comcast provide a new modem, which they came to install when I was not present. I returned to find everything in working order, however, they never put it in bridge mode, and the R7800 was still in router mode as previously configured. Fortunately this was not causing any immediate issues even though both were acting as routers.

I logged into the Cisco to enable bridge mode, and it completely stopped working. I even struggled to factory reset as it would not power on. Comcast came out, and the tech said it was defective and set up a new one, this time putting it in bridge mode for me.

Everything was working fine yesterday after Comcast left, until this morning. The same problem is happening. Internet works for 5 to 10 minutes, then kicks off, while still retaining all other network functions.

I can restore internet by either power cycling R7800, or when logged in, renewing the lease on the connection. It will only last a short time, before it kicks out.

Solutions I have tried:

1. Complete factory reset of both devices and reconfigure the network from scratch.

2. Updated the R7800 to Firmware 1.0.2.92

3. Rolled back the Firmware to much earlier versions as far back as 1.0.2.40 and factory rest again.

4. Process of elimination by disconnecting all devices, but one to eliminate any IP conflicts.

Currently, I eliminated the R7800 from the network, and running the Cisco in full router mode by itself. I'm still not convinced the issue is the R7800, but something on Comcast's end. I did find that logging into the Cisco router was very slow, and I did have internet kick out once even after removing the R7800, but it only happened once for a minute or to.

Am I missing something here? Or should I assume the R7800 is junk. It's not very old, and is not in an area where it's exposed to extreme temps.

Any insight would be helpful, as I'm pulling my hair out trying to resolve this issue.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Intermittent internet connection using a Netgear R7800 and Comcast Business router in Bridge Mod

You can disable the modems Firewall. Just put the IP address the R7800 gets from the modem into the modems DMZ. The R7800's firewall will handle it from there. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Intermittent internet connection using a Netgear R7800 and Comcast Business router in Bridge Mod

Does the top Internet LED turn AMBER when this happens? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Might try the ISP modem in router mode with it's Wi-Fi disabled and use the modems DMZ for the R7800 in router mode and see if the problem continues. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is any Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic meter features enabled? 

Try the R7800 at home or at a different location to see if the problem follows or not. 

Message 2 of 8
brainmatter1
Aspirant

When I lose connection, there is no change in lights on either the Cisco or the Nighthawk. Everything appears as connected. The Nighthawk even has a white internet led that slightly flickers as if data is being sent. It stays white, never amber, and never blinks in any pattern. Power, Data, and Internet lights stay illuminated solid on the Cisco indicating the connecting is still there coming from Comcast.

I have swapped out the ethernet cable from the Cisco to the Nighthawk and the problem continues.

I am using the Nighthawk with factory settings. The issue isn't wifi, devices on both wifi and ethernet stay connected locally when this happens, I just lose internet. I can still see connected devices in NetGear genie, and access shared network folders, printers, etc.

There is no other settings, access controls, or Armor enabled.

I noticed the when the internet connection kicks out, I can no longer access to the Cisco.

I can restore internet by power cycling either the Cisco or the Nighthawk, doesn't have to be both. Or I can restore by logging into NetGear Genie on the NightHawk. Release, and the Renew the lease on the internet connection.

However in a 5 to 10 min time span, internet will cut out again.

I will attempt to test at home, although I have Verizon Fios, so I may have different results. I really can't see this being anything else at this point other than the NightHawk is defective. Very disappointing considering it is maybe a year old, if not less.

Message 3 of 8
brainmatter1
Aspirant

Update: I disabled bridge mode on the Cisco router, disabled wifi, and the firewall, with the NightHawk in router mode, as it has been configured from the start, and my internet connection seems to be stable.

I suppose I can operate like this, but I still don't understand why true bridge mode causes an issue.

Is there any disadvantages to this, or would I be better off in full bridge mode?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that something is happening between the modem/router and the R7800 when the ISP modem is bridged fully. It should work just as good as when thats disabled. Could be someting on the line or some odd mis-handling between the modem and R7800. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 8
brainmatter1
Aspirant

Fortunately this connection is still using the older Cisco router, because I may buy a NetGear stand alone cable model and eliminate Comcast's equipment all together. From my understanding for speeds over 300mbps Comcast requires the use of their newest generation router and you are not able to use a non-Comcast modem, but in my situation that is not the case.

If it works as-is now, without being in full bridge mode, is there is any advantage to keeping the Comcast firewall enabled, or will that create a redundancy with the firewall on the R7800?

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable the modems Firewall. Just put the IP address the R7800 gets from the modem into the modems DMZ. The R7800's firewall will handle it from there. 

Message 7 of 8
brainmatter1
Aspirant

Ok, thank you for your advice. I have never had such a headache of a time with a router before. Whether it is the Comcast or the NightHawk, I much rather have control over my own equipment. Unfortunately most ISPs are leaning more and more towards forcing customers to use their equipment, without offering much support.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7