Re: Intermittent internet connection

zobsboz
Aspirant

Intermittent internet connection

For a month I've been on my ISP's case about my internet connection dropping randomly for a few minutes at a time, usually multiple or several times in a row.  Occasionally I have an error on my desktop that pops up about another computer on the network trying to use the same IP address.  I've tried static IPs on devices I could easily set them on.  I cycle my router and modem daily with all this nonsense.  I've replaced my modem.  I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with my router that I've only had about 13 months, wether it be the firmware, the router itself, or whatever.  This last month has been unbearable and I'm at my wits end with all of this.  I've never had so many issues with my internet, it's not even close.  I've definitely never had such frequent internet drops like this.  Someone please help.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

What router firmware are you on? 

What modem are you using? 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 10
labatt
Mentor

If you are doing static assignments that means you are configuring the device to have a particular address. If that is the case then you need to assign an IP address that is outside the DHCP address range. That would explain your another computer has this address message as DHCP doesn't know what you staticly assigned. 

Message 3 of 10
zobsboz
Aspirant

Firmware V1.0.4.84_10.0.58

Current modem Arris surfboard SB6190 which replaced my Motorola Surfboard SB6141.  I've been using my ISP modem/router combo for several days with no issues.  It definitely seems to be my Netgear.

I saw one thing online that said to roll back the firmware to 1.0.2.52.  Consdiering this as a last effort before replacing the Netgear with another brand.  I've never had a router only last a year.  This seems silly.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 10
zobsboz
Aspirant

I posted a reply but it showed up as message 4 instead of below your comment and indented.  Just wanted to point that out...

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Sounds like your V3 of the R6700?

If so, I'd roll back to the 1.0.3.66 version. Its the version prior to armor. 

then factory reset and manual reinstall. 

Message 6 of 10
zobsboz
Aspirant

@plemansI know factory reset is the spot on the back where you need to insert a pen tip or something smal to reset.  I assume I change settings to prevent automatic upgrades to more current firmware of course.

When you say manual reinstall, what do you mean?  I have my settings backed up, can I just upload that backup?  I assume this just resets up my static IPs I've assinged everything, router name, password, etc...

If by manual reinstall you mean something else please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

netgear armor made significant changes to the firmware. it added some features and removed some features. Old settings can cause issues with the change. 

reloading the firmware from a backup has caused issues for some since this change.

If you're going between version of firmware that have/don't have armor, don't use your backup. Manually do the setup process. Otherwise you're just reloading those old settings that could be causing the issues. 

Message 8 of 10
zobsboz
Aspirant

@plemans   I tried that version, factory reset, and manual setup.  Was looking promising at first and it went right back into the cycle of intermittant lost connection.

I think I tried cycling once.  Switched back to my ISP router/modem and that's working fine.  Now when my Netgear is plugged in it's not even booting up.  I wonder if it's fried now.

What do you recommend for a replacement?  I had and still have a Motorola SB6141 modem.  Purchased an Arris Surfboard SB6190 to replace it but may be able to return it.  The ISP modem/router is a Technicolor CGA4234.  I'd like to use my own equipment and seems I need to replace the Netgear.

Thanks for trying to help salvage the 6700V3

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

I would try checking the power supply. 

I wouldn't necessarily go buy one but if you had one from a different device to try. Just make sure it has the same voltage, the same polarity, and at least the same amperage. It can have more amperage but not less. 

Are the lights turning on at all? 

How old is it? 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E