Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent internet

SoCaliFox
Aspirant

Intermittent internet

Hi there,

We moved into my our new house last August, and it is a "smart" home.  We only have Cox in our area and have Gigablast.  We bought an Orbi, but constantly had issues with the internet going out.  We returned it and hooked up our old modem that worked relatively fine at our old apartment.  When we set it up at the new home, it had intermittent internet issues as well.  We finally bought an C7800v2 for our long, narrow 1,700 two-story house.  We still had intermittent internet issues.  I reached out to Netgear when I had complimentary support.  They said the device worked fine.  We bought the EX7700 extender to better cover the front of the house.

I contacted Cox.  More than six contractors have come out.  One replaced all the external wiring from our house to the pole.  Another discovered that there were seven houses on four lines.  Almost all of them said there was an issue at the pole.  Our neighbor who has been here for years said they have always had intermittent internet issues.  They bought a Google mesh system.  They have three of them even though their house is smaller than ours!!!  They said their internet performs a lot better, but they still have issues occassionally.

After an angry email to Cox's headquarters regarding the lack of follow up after purchasing Complete Care, a Cox tech was assigned to our house to resolve the issue once and for all.  While the architecture of the pole was getting fixed, Cox allowed us to use their Panaromic wifi for free.  Even though we got slower speeds with it than our C7800v2, the performance was much more stable and reliable.  Instead of having to reset the modem multiple times a day, we only had issues once or twice a week mainly with our tvs.

Cox has since fixed the architecture of the pole.  Each house has its own dedicated line.  We thought this would fix the problem so we moved everything from the Panoramic wifi modem back to the C7800v2.  Much to our frustration, the signal strength seems to be stronger, but the darn internet is still intermittent.   We have to reset it at least once a day.  I called Netgear support again, and they again confirmed that there is no defect with the product.  They did this just by having me read off the blinking lights on the modem (which seems suspect).

I'm at my witts end.  We've spent more that $500 on this Netgear equipment.  How can the Cox equipment perform better?  What could the problem possibly be?  Any ideas?  I'm not a techy person so if you could put it in laymen's terms that would be great.

Thank you!

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Intermittent internet

While I sympathise with your long sob story, it is actually short of much useful information. This seems to be the problem:

@SoCaliFox wrote:

....the signal strength seems to be stronger, but the darn internet is still intermittent.   We have to reset it at least once a day. 

That tells us very little about your circumstances and what you experience. The phrase "internet is still intermittent" could mean many things.

Which wifi bands disappear, 2.4 GHz? 5 GHz? What wifi channels do you run on? Is there a lot of local wifi interference from the neighbours? Is this every wifi client or just some of them?

The C7800 is a modem/router that isn't going to cover a large palace with wifi. Is that the thing that your wifi clients lose touch with? Or is it this EX7700?

@SoCaliFox wrote:

I called Netgear support again, and they again confirmed that there is no defect with the product.  They did this just by having me read off the blinking lights on the modem (which seems suspect).

Why is it suspect to use the indicators to give an indication of what is going on on your device? The LEDs are there to help you to understand what is going on.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7