Internal network

Paul-Jan
Tutor

Internal network

My network, several Desktops and laptops, all connected to the same router, Fix IP based on the MAC address. (config. of the Router)

The problem is the internal network ! if I want to connect to a shared drive on an other PC ( laptop) so trough the WIFI of the router it’s frequently happing that I get an error that I’m not able to connect to the laptop ?? If I’m lucky I can get connection, but then it’s slow, or suddenly not working anymore. It’s not that I have a week strength or connection, normally the laptop is 5 meters from the router. I don’t have problems with internet connections ! only internal network to other PC’s…..

When I connect the laptop Wired to the network there’s no problem ??? Why ?

It does not matter if I use the 2,4 or 5 Ghz band.

Can anybody explain why ?  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Re: Internal network

It probably would help if you declared the OS you are using and the types of devices (wireless) you have as well as the speed of them?

There is also a program, LAN Speed Test you might want to run to see what you are actually getting in terms of speed on the LAN.

It is also possible that your Anti-virus, Internet Security Suite, of Firewall is causing this. Have you tried disabling them momentarily to see if that is the problem?

Message 2 of 8
Paul-Jan
Tutor

All the Pc’s are Windows 10 64 bit, some 32 bit.

Everything is up to date. Windows 10, drivers, firmware etc.

Most of the PC’s and laptops are wired GB-lan Wi-Fi 2.4. ore 5 Ghz

I use Eset Smart Security, but not on all the Pc’s.  Still if I stop Eset there’s no change.

The strange thing is that’s it’s only from Wi-Fi to Lan and vice versa.

It takes to Lang to connect (find the PC and folders) mostly I can see the PC, but when I want to access the I get for example the fault “can’t resolve the PC name”  

Lan speed.JPG

Network.JPG

Why ???? is this a Windows 10 problem ? ore...

Message 3 of 8
IrvSp
Master

I'm wondering if this is a 'credentials' problem?

Look at Credentials Manager in the Contol Panel, specifically the Windows one. Do you have credentials to been on the other PC/Laptop? Google "windows credentials for network" and you'll see many results on this. Like THIS ONE. I did this for all the PC's here, a mix of different versions of W10 and even an old XP one that is rarely used.

Message 4 of 8
Paul-Jan
Tutor

First of all, thanks for the reply ! Yesterday I was looking on the internet for this problem and it seems that I’m not the only one. A lot of people are having the same problem.

The individual PC’s ( cable or Wi-fi) have a perfect connection with the internet.

But if you want to connect to a PC / laptop on your internal network than there’s a problem ?

This problem is a curing when you want to connect from a PC (cable) to a Wi-Fi laptop than for whatever reason the communication is not working.

I tried something: A had a USB Wi-Fi network dongle, plugged it in the laptop and surprise, I was able to access the files and folders form the desktop PC and vice versa.

So it has something to with the internal network card of the laptop.

Why ? What can be the problem ? Why are more people having this problems ?

I also can understand that somebody that doesn’t have this problems, other people advise to check the basic settings, router, Windows, sharing etc. etc. Most of them already checked all of this and still have the same problem.     

I even think that a lot people are looking in the wrong direction, it’s not the software or the settings I think something with the network car / network protocol. Depending of the card or protocol you will have connection or not…

Still I want to know why ? And is this cause of the router or router and windows or the combination of the router, windows and the type and protocol of the internal Wi-fi card of the laptop.

Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Ahh, what you posted struck a chord with me.

About a year ago I was helping a neighbor with a problem that happened once he updated his laptop to W10 from W7. All I can remember it was a Toshiba with an internal wireless device. Worked fine under W7 but in W10 he had connection problems, very slow, drops, etc.

So we went out and bought a USB dongle. That did NOT fix it? Dug deeper and discovered the problem was in the router SECURITY setting. He was using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. Checked both of the spec's for the laptop wireless and the USB Dongle. Both said WPA2-PSK [AES]. Further checking on the web and WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] should work for both of those protocols. However even NG states "Allows clients using either WPA-PSK (TKIP) or WPA2-PSK (AES) (this provides the most reliable security, and is easiest to implement, but it might not be compatible with older adapters)."

Quite possible W10 changed something so older wireless devices can't use that setting.

Which Security are you using? Should be using WPA2-PSK (AES) probably.

Message 6 of 8
Paul-Jan
Tutor

Yep! I use WPA2-PSK (AES) Question is, Who is responsible for all this network
suffering ?  Windows ? Ore is there something Netgear can do to overcome this kind of problems ?

Probably a lot of people are having these problems, thinking that they are the stupid PC users..

Asking questions and getting all kind of answers and remarks that they made a setup fault ore they don’t understand what they are doing.

Also the fault report from Windows and the Windows suggestions lead to nothing, repair etc.

There must be a possibility that:

• The user gets a notification that the hardware is not suitable for internal networking.
  • Ore possible that the router software is smart that it can handle other than brand new an very fast networking hardware.
  • I think there’s a nice challenge for Netgear to dig in to this and solve it……
Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@Paul-Jan wrote:

Yep! I use WPA2-PSK (AES) Question is, Who is responsible for all this network
suffering ?  Windows ? Ore is there something Netgear can do to overcome this kind of problems ?

Probably a lot of people are having these problems, thinking that they are the stupid PC users..

Asking questions and getting all kind of answers and remarks that they made a setup fault ore they don’t understand what they are doing.

Also the fault report from Windows and the Windows suggestions lead to nothing, repair etc.

There must be a possibility that:

• The user gets a notification that the hardware is not suitable for internal networking.
  • Ore possible that the router software is smart that it can handle other than brand new an very fast networking hardware.
  • I think there’s a nice challenge for Netgear to dig in to this and solve it……

Well, I think you answered the question in another reply, "I tried something: A had a USB Wi-Fi network dongle, plugged it in the laptop and surprise, I was able to access the files and folders form the desktop PC and vice versa."

Since that worked, how could you blame the router or the network? That would target the Wireless Device I'd think?

What is it? Did you check both the Laptop vendor's site for an update? Since it probably is a chipset, did you check to see if there are new drivers for it?

Windows 10 does have generic drivers for many devices, but some it might not. Quite possible the driver you have doesn't support W10? You should be able to determine the Wireless device that you have either in Device Manager or Network and Sharing Center's Change Adapter's Settings page, name should be on the device there. That is where I'd start searching.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E