Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet Connection Drops

BobLouder
Aspirant

Internet Connection Drops

... when I use VPN software.

First, I am not interested in using the Netgear OpenVPN to connect to my home network.

Second, was using a Netgear N150 Wireless WNR1000 Router before and had no issues in four years or so.  No other device or configuration changes.

Setup a new Netgear Nighhawk AC 1750 day before yesterday.  I've got everything working... all devices connected, etc.  There are no issues connecting to the Internet when not using VPN Software. Also, I bypassed the router straight to the Charter Spectrum modem and VPN software worked fine.  Have tried with Freedome and Tunnel Bear VPNs.  After about five minutes of internet use, the connection drops.   Windows 7 trouble shooter states: "Vendor firewall is blocking communication.  This UDP communication with IP 198.x.x.x (a VPN IP) and svchost.exe blocked."

If you have a solution, please respond.  However, I'm not going to download something like DDWRT, etc as this is a family members computer. 

UPDATE: Last night, I was on the phone with a NG Sr Level Tech.  At first, he took me to: Advanced>Advanced Setup>Port Forwarding>Add Custom Service.  However, after further discussion we ended up updating the bios via Netgear Download option and resetting the modem from the menu.  When we came back, he then took me to Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup> added a specific computer for a reservation.  Then, he took me to Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup> Checked "Default DMZ Server"  with that same computer.  Both VPN programs then appeared to work fine.  Since I had no experience with DMZ, I asked him what it was ... he said something like "it is our VPN".  It was very late and we ended the call.  After getting off the call, I searched the Netgear site and found a "Netgear" article that stated: "Warning: DMZ servers pose a security risk. A computer designated as the default DMZ server loses much of the protection of the firewall and is exposed to exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the DMZ server computer can be used to attack other computers on your network."  So, I reversed the settings back to default.  Back to square one.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
BobLouder
Aspirant

Re: Internet Connection Drops

The latest version as of the day I spoke with the NG Sr. Tech... 14.x, I believe.

The issue was resolved on this Windows 7 system by purchasing Golden Frog VyprVPN, which uses OpenVPN Protocol as it's default.  After wasting a good portion of three days, I downloaded this VPN on a 3 day trial and it worked.  So, I paid $70 for the router and $60 for new VPN software to fix the issue.  I never heard back from the NG Sr tech as promised.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
BobLouder
Aspirant

Turned Security software off and it dropped off Internet after about seven minutes.

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi BobLouder,

What is the firmware version of the router?

What is the case number from support team?

Message 3 of 5
BobLouder
Aspirant

The latest version as of the day I spoke with the NG Sr. Tech... 14.x, I believe.

The issue was resolved on this Windows 7 system by purchasing Golden Frog VyprVPN, which uses OpenVPN Protocol as it's default.  After wasting a good portion of three days, I downloaded this VPN on a 3 day trial and it worked.  So, I paid $70 for the router and $60 for new VPN software to fix the issue.  I never heard back from the NG Sr tech as promised.

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi BobLouder,

Can you provide me via PM the case number of your case with the Sr. Tech?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7