Highlighted
Tutor

Internet Disconnected

Had an interesting experience last night. I have a new R7000 running firmware R7000-V1.0.2.164_1.0.15.
It had been working find for perhaps a week.
I had Pandora playing and after some time the music stopped.
When I checked the connection on the Roku it was able to connect to the router (wireless) but said I had no internet connection.
After bouncing everything all is working fine again.
Message 1 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Internet Disconnected

Would be helpful to use the log tool in the router before bouncing it next time. It could capture what actually happened.
Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Good suggestion. Thanks. Should have thought of that.
Message 3 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am getting frequent disconnections from internet. Troubleshooting with time warner to understand the problem but they say cable modem is not having down time.

I am frequently playing on Xbox and then we will get disconnected. If I access router at the same time I get the red box at top saying internet status: not connected.

Have had major lag issues and intermittent disconnections with this router and at this point it's several times a day. Very discouraged and unhappy.

Is there somewhere in the system I can view a log of what is happening at these times (i've kept track when it happens) to help troubleshoot this?

I'm about ready to just buy two or three airport extremes and hope for the best. This router has good wireless range and I like the idea of QOS, but in real world function it seems unstable and net gear has not upgraded firmware to fix this!
Message 4 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

I sympathize. Even though my R7000 has been much more stable on R7000-V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 in the last week I have had:
(1) Disconnect from Internet when access to wifi still seems good
(2) Complete drop out of wifi for all devices
(3) Wifi strength sometine through the roof and then instability or poor signal strength
(4) Drop off of the HDD shares where share appears there until I try to write a file then completely disconnects, individual files appearing there one minute gone the next, file sizes correct one minute zero the next.
(5) Still have problems with W7 laptop not connecting automatically or dropping off. Usually says I am connected ok; but no internet until I disconnect/reconnect.

When it works, it seems to be great; but it just isn't stable. The old WNDR3700 was FAR better. :mad: Smiley Sad :mad:
Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I continue to have issues where internet will go down, typically when playing 2 xbox games simultaneously. Log into router 192.168.1.1. and the internet box is big red saying no connection but modem (motorola SB6141) has all lights connected and if logged into @ 192.168.100.1 shows normal connection and nothing in log about being disconnected.

It seems this router is just not stable. It's probably firmware but at this point I've had it.

I'm ordering an apple airport extreme and see if that fixes my problem.

Very disappointed because the feature set on this router is excellent and the wireless range has been very good, but if it can't maintain a connection to the internet it's not worth it and net gear is not updating firmware to deal with this.
Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The logs will show a reboot as a " firmware initialization". If you didn't change a setting and did not reboot or power cycle at the time then your router rebooted on it's own. All prior logs are lost. Set up the log e-mail function to send e-mail once a day, then you'll know if it's rebooting or not. Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm not seeing a reboot. I checked the logs. I have no idea why the internet keeps showing up as red and not available intermittently, but time warner says modem is not loosing any connectivity and when it happens all the lights on the cable modem say the connection is good and as I said I check modem info and it says connected.

Got the Apple Airport Extreme tonight and testing now. If I have the same problem then of course it's not the Netgear. I'll report back when I have a bit more experience.
Message 8 of 18
Highlighted
Novice

Having the same frequent internet disconnects with my r7000 as well. With the really shoddy interface and the inability to setup simple firewall rules and multiple schedules, I'm thinking I made a big mistake buying this particular router. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 18
Highlighted

I just bought this router last night (1/25/14). I read that you shouldn't do the firmware update because it messes up the router, but I needed it as I couldn't manually add Mac addresses (it screwed them up). So I get the update and I'm watching a show on my laptop and poof, internet is gone. I go to fix it and it comes back up. Poof, gone again. This happens repeatedly and is annoying. I decided to set my laptop beside the router and modem and then watch a video. As I'm watching the video, the internet drops again. Here's the thing though, the modem stays lit the same. I'm not losing the internet connection from the modem out, I'm losing it from the laptop to this router or from the router to the modem. I'm not sure which (I suspect it's from the router to the modem). WTF? I drop $200 on this and it drops every 10/15 minutes? I bought this because my old router couldn't handle the load. At least with that one, I never had drop problems like this.

Please fix this so I don't have to return this thing!
Message 10 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well it's perhaps a bit too early to definitively say so, but at this point I've had 2 full days of internet access without any problems with my airport extreme. I was loosing internet connection (visible at the command screen in login as described above) at least 2-3x daily before this.

So either I got a bad router, or there are major issues with firmware. Either way I've decided to return mine. Too bad because the r7000 had some major (claimed) features that I wanted. But my apple router is just working and I'm not getting booted out of games on xbox anymore.
Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

What firmware version are you on? At V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 I still get drop-offs but seem to be much less often. Oddly I hav emore problems with W7 than with XP.
Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was on whatever is currently available on net gear site as of 3 days ago (99% sure it's V1.0.2.194_1.0.15, don't think it's changed). I've returned the modem as the replacement airport extreme has been up for days without any problem at all.
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Try unchecking Disable IGMP proxying in WAN setup
also, LAN setup use router as DHCP server.
In Internet setupSmiley Very HappyNS Address check box use these DNS Servers and enter google DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

That has stopped any disconnections to internet or wifi drops == Its worth a Try.

Good luck.
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

TheInnkeeper, I'm returning mine. I'm having the same issue you described. I had it for 3 days and I gave up.
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same issue here - was really looking forward to an upgrade from my 3700-series...

I have my R7000 in the same place as the old one:
Uverse------R7000

The Uverse gateway is setup for DMZ plus on the port going to the R7000 so it gets an external IP address. This was working fine for a long time w/the 3700 but I wanted more coverage and a chance at AC speeds

Unfortunately the R7000 keeps disconnecting from the internet (everything else is working, local wireless and wired clients). All I have to do is login to the router and "test" the internet settings (basically trying to pull a DHCP IP address again).

If they can't fix the disconnect issues, can they at least make a keepalive or retry timer to make sure the internet connection stays up? Or does DD-WRT do this? Otherwise this thing's going back and it's Linksys time

Firmware:
V1.0.3.24_1.1.20
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm also having issues connecting to the internet, even after updating to FW V1.0.3.24_1.1.20.

It started with my Xbox being disconnected as I'm in a lobby about to join a game. In this case I was online talking to friends and waiting for a match to load. After the drop, my work laptop (Windows 7) gave an error that there was an IP address conflict. This happened 2 or 3 times over the last month, but wasn't enough to really bother me.

This weekend I starting seeing issues with my iPhone connecting to the internet via the 2.4 ghz band. The phone would show full strength signal, but would not reach the internet. I also noticed that the 5 ghz band that my Mac and iPad were on was working fine. I've since had issues with my Mac taking 30 or more seconds to find the 5 ghz wifi and have also had some of the same internet connectivity issues. While typing this, I also could not reach one of the router configuration sections.

I'm going to keep an eye on the logs, but am growing tired of these issues. I'll also try my luck with inSSIDer, as I'm in an apartment setting. I had the WNDR3800 and it was going through similar issues on the 2.4 band (known issue with the radio dying out).
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Apprentice

Happened here also. Latest firmware is prone to disconnect from the www after about ten days. Not sure if it is renewing the lease of the ip's after ten days or what. I am currently trying to read and understand my logs. No luck yet
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements