Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet LED is solid Amber

aricht48
Aspirant

Internet LED is solid Amber

I relocated my router and ISP modem and now internet LED is staying Amber with no internet connection. I even left the wires the alone so I wouldn't forget where to connect them back. The only thing I did different is that I used a 30 foot coaxle cable and connected it to the same internet outlet that I have service in. I got so frustrated that I placed back in the original location with the same 2 foot coaxle cable it came with to get the internet back and it actually is now staying Amber. I called my servie provider and they told me that everything is working fine on their end and that the problem is with my router. Lousy ISP told me they would charge $55 for another internet outlet not including the service call charge.

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet LED is solid Amber

@aricht48 wrote:

It kept kicking off yesterday. I've always had wirelessly and never did that before. Can you have both an ISP wifi modem and nighthawk connected for internet connection? Or does it have to be only the ISP modem? I have both connected and no orange light. Could it be that it's just because it's only detecting the ISP modem? Thanks

You can have both connected. But if you're going to leave the arris with wifi/router part running, then you'd want to put the nighthawk in AP mode. If you don't its called a double nat. I doubt that's whats causing your issues but it'll help with functioning. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

30 ft coax cable should not cause an issue - unless the provider signal levels would be really poor.

Power-up the modem first, wait a few minutes until it's fully ready. Then connect the router and power it up.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Can you log into the modem and check your signal strength and the status page? 

ISP techs are great at saying the signal is fine when its borderline. Maybe the 30ft is just enough to push the signal over the edge. Or maybe the cable is kinked, has damage, water in the line, or some other issue with the 30ft cable thats causing it to be bad enough to wreck your signal. 

do you have a different coax cable you could try? Or are ther any splitters/attenuators/amplifiers in line? remove them if there are.

Message 3 of 11
aricht48
Aspirant

Thank You for your assistance. I tried that 3 times on my own and then when speaking to the ISP, they instructed me to do the same. No change. I'm still baffled as to what went wrong just from relocating my computer, router, and modem and using a different (longer) coaxial.

Message 4 of 11
aricht48
Aspirant

Thank You for your reponse. I am paying $75 a monthly for 600mbps but, when I check my devices they are reading 15 mbps, 35mbps, 3, etc. they keep telling me everything is fine on their end but, I'm not getting the mbps that i'm paying for. I had been with Time Warner now Spectrum for over 20 years because their internet was fast without any problems but, when I moved into a new apt they failed to tell me that they only provided Grande Communications. So I am stuck with this company I've never used and have been having a multitude of problems for 3 months now. Sad thing is, they know I have no choice so that's why they're being kind of jerky with me. $55 to service another outlet plus service call is insane. Spectrum never did that but, I guess that is what happens when you're forced to go with a company that has bad customer service, arm & leg charges and fees, and lousy internet service. I may be screwed for the remainder of my lease. Thank you, I will try another coax see if that works.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using?

If you hardwire directly into the modem, what speeds do you get? (not wireless)

Most modems default access page is 192.168.100.1 (not all). Try loggin into the modem and seeing if you can access your modems connections page. if you're paying for 600mbps but barely hitting 15-35mbps/hardwired then something wrong from the start. 

Message 6 of 11
aricht48
Aspirant

Hello. I am using ISP modem with my nighthawk router. They told me since the nighthawk is the problem just to go get their wifi modem and don't use my nighthawk at all. So now that was connected yesterday but, my son's PS4 keeps kicking him off the game 8 times within 2 hours of gaming. That has never ever happened once. So I will attempt to relocate my entire pc, desk, printer, etc back to it's original place and see if I can connect my nighthawk router again. My ISP told me they've done everything they could so they won't help anymore unless I pay for a service call. I am using ISP's Arris wifi modem only no nighthawk. Here goes nothing. Hope I can figure it out myself especially since I won't have internet connection. I will let you know how it goes...............hopefully! Thank You very much for you assistance.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

What model modem are you using? 

From what you put, you're in a double nat if you're using the arris and the nighthawk.

Using only the arris removes that issue but you said you're still getting kicked off and issues.

Maybe take the screen snip of the modems connection page? 

Does the playstation get kicked off if its hardwired in or only wireless? 

Message 8 of 11
aricht48
Aspirant

It kept kicking off yesterday. I've always had wirelessly and never did that before. Can you have both an ISP wifi modem and nighthawk connected for internet connection? Or does it have to be only the ISP modem? I have both connected and no orange light. Could it be that it's just because it's only detecting the ISP modem? Thanks

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

@aricht48 wrote:

You can have both connected. But if you're going to leave the arris with wifi/router part running, then you'd want to put the nighthawk in AP mode. If you don't its called a double nat. I doubt that's whats causing your issues but it'll help with functioning. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 10 of 11
aricht48
Aspirant

hello. Atfer constantly calling back my ISP provider will be sending a tech out tomorrow. They are seeing very low mbps on their end after all. I wasn't getting any where trying figure it out myself so I'm relieved. As for you, I want to Thank You so much for your assistance and taking your valuable time to help me whom is obviously not a techie. Thank You.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7