Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet connection through the router slows down dramatically - R7000

ahbigjay
Initiate

Internet connection through the router slows down dramatically - R7000

Hello,

I originally had a Netgear N-600 router that would get about 30-40 mbps but just this week I could hardly get 1 or 2. I connect the modem directly to the computer and I get 128mbps.  So I called Time Warner Cable to confirm and they state it is my router.  So I just purchased the R7000 I hook it up and first speed test wired from the router to computer is 118 mbps perfect.  I then run the wireless speed test and it is 113mbps.  2 minutes later the router is doing .40 mbps through the wireless and the computer was .50 mbps.  I took the power out of both the modem and the router to reset it and it is perfect again in the 100's. Then a few minutes later it goes back down to less than 1.  I again hook the modem to the computer directly and back to 118mbps.  So I am thinking there has to be an issue with the router but it is just odd that the issue I had on the N-600 is also happening with the Nighthawk.  I am hoping someone out here has had the same issue and knows how to rsolve the issue as tech support could not figure it out after being on the phone for 1 hour.  We changed the MTU and channels but nothing. He is going to call back to see if there is a change.  Could it somehow be the modem even though it works perfectly fine running directly to the computer or is it that I just got a bad router?   Any help is greatly appreciated.  Spending $180 and it not working is not cool.

Thanks,

Jay

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ahbigjay
Initiate

Re: Internet connection through the router slows down dramatically - R7000

Hey jmeddles2,

So my issue turns out that it was Time Warner Cables issue and not the router like they first said.  After being on the phone with Netgear, Arris and TWC for multiple hours TWC finally decided to send a tech out who figured the issue out in like 2min.  They had just ran an update to the system and I had the wrong filter in the box outside my house as it was too old. The filter is needed since I do not get cable from them.  You would think that TWC would know ho wlong it has been since a filter was changed.  The router is now working and I am getting speeds of 117 on the 5ghz band. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
jmeddles2
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with my R8000 today...?

Message 2 of 3
ahbigjay
Initiate

Hey jmeddles2,

So my issue turns out that it was Time Warner Cables issue and not the router like they first said.  After being on the phone with Netgear, Arris and TWC for multiple hours TWC finally decided to send a tech out who figured the issue out in like 2min.  They had just ran an update to the system and I had the wrong filter in the box outside my house as it was too old. The filter is needed since I do not get cable from them.  You would think that TWC would know ho wlong it has been since a filter was changed.  The router is now working and I am getting speeds of 117 on the 5ghz band. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7