Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet drops on Nighthawk x6 R8000 (wifi is working)

Ajaz
Guide

Internet drops on Nighthawk x6 R8000 (wifi is working)

Hi,

My trusted Nighthawk R8000 which I've been using for several years has started to play up recently. It is currently connected to a BT Openreach device with a BT Broadband Fiber 2 package.

Issues I'm facing, the router shows a white light for the internet and all wifi bands are up and running however there is no internet access, i.e, loss of access to the internet (not the router). 

I have checked the router is on the latest firmware v1.0.4.76.

Remdeial step taken: Reset the router settings and set it up from scratch - This did solve the problem for a few days but the problem has reappeared. 

Can someone advise on any alternative steps that I could take?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet drops on Nighthawk x6 R8000 (wifi is working)

I'd ask the ISP to see if they notice anything in there logs during the time frames when this happens.

Both wired and wireless devices fail to get internet when this happens? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? Might try this and also power OFF both ISP modem/ONT for a good full minute or more then back ON. Complete the setup wizard on the router. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the modem/ONT and the router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Hi FURRYe38,
The ISP is no help because they don't support third party routers. I have a standalone PC connected using a LAN Cable (cat6) which also losses Internet access. This PC is one of the reasons I use the R8000 because I remotely access this device when working remotely and have RDS - Port Forwarding configured.
My set up hasn't changed over the past 6 years the only thing that has is the ISP and most recently BT installed the ONT device when I signed up to them. The problem started occurring as soon as I started with BT (moved from Virgin Media).

I've looked up the OPENREACH ONT device (Nokia modem) and it appears to be just a modem.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the problem started with the installation of the ONT on BT and it worked prior to this, the ISP needs to look into there signal line and check there logs for any odd issues seen on there line UP to and including the ONT. 

Has a factory reset been performed since the ONT was connected and setup from scratch? I'd power OFF the ONT for 1 minute as well then back ON. Complete the setup wizard. Don't enable Armor, Access Controls or Traffic Meter. Ensure Time is set correct and DST. 

Message 4 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Yes, I did a full reset on the router and restated the modem as well. I did this after I got fed up with having to restart my router every day.
The problem got solved for a few days but then reappeared.

Now, its back to being painful again as the router needs a restart every other day.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have mentioned that recent FW is problematic. You may need to downgrade the FW to something prior...

Message 6 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Any suggestion where to download the Firmware from and which version?

I need to sort this out asap because when I'm not at home it is impossible to switch the router off/on to make it work again. Can't put a smart plug on it because the plug will also be offline. So I'm completely stuck!

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try Version 1.0.4.66...

Message 8 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Thanks. I've downloaded the firmware. Going to apply it later tonight and see how it performs tomorrow.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Hi FURRYe38,

Can you suggest a different version (installed 1.0.4.66 last night). This is very unstable and I've had several disconnections so far this morning. Internet speed is dropping (not wifi disconnections). It didn't require a router reboot but my Microsoft Teams calls kept dropping. I've done a speed test and I'm not getting my typical Download/Upload speeds.

Message 11 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Just restarted the router and speeds are back up to where I expect them to be.

Let's see how it goes over the next couple of hours.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I found this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-connectivity-issues/m-p/2053504/highli...

Might try v28 if your router doesnt' seem to keep stable.

Message 13 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

FURRYe38,

Thanks for all your help so far! So... 

I reset the router.

Downgraded to version V1.0.4.28_10.1.54. 

Reset the router again.

Then did a clean set up.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 17
Ajaz
Guide

Unfortunatley, the problem still persists. Internet seems to grind to a hault. Multiple issues with internet connectivity as appose to wifi connectivity.

Last night out of desperation I've had to install the BT Smart Hub 2. Managed to give my PC a static IP and got the RDP working so all good for now.... but a shame that my faithful R8000 (have had it for 5yrs) is not compatible with my current set up 😞

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you configure the router for AP mode with your ISP router? 

https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7